IGNORED

using a towbar on a 78 ?

CaptnKrunch

thanks for the input 2many... frame rail rust... in the midwest ? naaaa...:) have this fear of looking in the rearview mirror and seeing the z floating away with no bumper...just checked info on a renting a towdolly ... not to bad $ 90.00 from uhaul for 300 miles ... thanks for the input..

I have a channel section (steel) which I have fabricated to bolt to the bumper supports (shocks) on the 280 and 260. I then bolt a tow bar to the channel using the standard 1/2" bolts and clevis. This unit has enabled me to tow two 280s and a previous 260 home. My present 280 was towed from Fairfax, VA to Athens, Ga. with no problem.

Yes you have to inspect the shock mounts for rust, but you should do that anyway when purchasing one of these cars. I also use a safety chain, connecting the tow points on the front subframe to my frame mounted hitch. Works like a dream. I also use remote lights, similar to trailer lights, which mount on the rear hatch. I always wanted a tow dolly, but never found one at the right price.

Total towing distance, probably a total of 1800 miles between the three cars.

Ed Palmer

ecp48

I'm with 2Many on this one..... rent a tow dolly, they work great. Unless you plan on towing the car all the time, you'll spend more time and energy trying to make something than it would be worth in my opinion. If you do plan on towing it quite a bit for any reason get a flatbed trailer.

thanks for all the input ... headed to look at ...78 .... tomorrow morning... suppose to be mostly rust free but .. running a bit poorly... I have a dolly on reserve near where the car is if I decide to buy it.. thanks again for the towing info....