IGNORED

Timing question?

m240

I have a 71' engine and was wondering if all engines have timing marks on the crankshaft pulley because mine does not seem to. I looked in Haynes and it shows the timing marks but on mine it has the arrow on the block and a notch on the pulley. I've tried using a timing light to line up the arrow and the notch but the closest it gets is about 3 to 4 inches away from the left of the arrow. Is the notch 0 degrees or am I supposed to line them both up? I was going to try static timing it but without any gauge I didn't know where to start. I had posted before about this and someone mentioned that the oil pump might might be a tooth off. I just wanted to double check everything before I try moving the oil pump. The car runs now, but not as smooth as I think it should and I do get some backfires on de-acceleration. That is why I think there is a problem. I've used a colortune on the carbs and so I think they are close.

Thanks,

Mark