IGNORED

Z parts swapping

Makenai V8Z

Just wanted to know if body parts for my 240Z; like the fenders, hood, and rear hatch can be swapped from 260Zs or 280Zs? Looks like the only difference are the emblems and the doors for 2 + 2 Zs.

Just wanted an experienced Z person to either confirm or set me straight on what parts from a 260Z or 280Z can be swapped onto my 240Z. Thanks. :D

Some parts yes, some parts no, and some parts maybe. It really depends on the individual part and how original you want to be. For the most part the '70-'78 Z cars are very similar. Most of the differences are design changes to fix a particular problem area, add some "modern" conviences or for government regulations, ex. bumpers and smog equipement.

The fenders themselves are the same from 70-78 as far as I can tell. I am pretty sure I verified this on the handy microfiche CD. Of course early Zs fenders will have holes in them from the Datsun emblem. Then take the headlight buckets as another example, early 240s had fiberglass and later, 73 if I remeber correctly, they went to metal which they remained until '78. However, they are interchangeable I have found. Also, the headlight assembly is physically the same but the wire that the bulb plugs into has a different connector at the other end where it plugs into the wire harness.

The rear deck is kinda the same deal. It is mostly the same but the early 240s had a single lift at a really bad location. Datsun changed this with the later 240s and added a second lift. I believe that stayed pretty much the same through the 280s. With the correct bits and a little welding you can make it work either way. And the glass in the early cars had verticle defroster lines and later they went to horizontal lines.

I am not sure about the doors! They appear to be the same but I believe just the internal mechanism for the lock and window actuators is different.

I believe all the hoods are the same with the exception of the later 280Z that had the vents cut in them. But they are interchangeable without any other modification.

Let me know if you have any specific parts you want to check because after this weekend I will have a 240, 260, and 280 around for comparison.

Questions or corrections welcomed!

Have fun,

Hi Royce.

Thanks for the great information you posted. I just want to change a few things since I'm sending my Z to the paint and body shop soon. Instead of fixing some parts, I thought just replacing them would be much more cost effective if I can find some pretty good deals. Like the rear hatch, and a fender that needs work on my Z. Saw some 260's and a 280 at a local salvage yard with some clean body parts. :D MZ

Glad I could share some useful info. Let me know if you don't find what you need, I've got a few Z body parts I wouldn't mind selling. What part of California 'ya from and what is the production date on your car?

I tell you what, it's a lot warming taking parts off a car in my garage than out at the bone yard! Burrr!

Hey Royce.

What parts do you have? I'm looking for the rear hatch first. Outside rear, black, plastic backing piece for the taillights. License plate light setup. Pretty much stuff for the rear of a 1971 240Z. Please let me know. I'm in southern Cali. North Hollywood. Thanks:D MZ

I think about the only difference in the doors is the 280 doors had the side guard door beam. They are probably about 10 lbs. heavier, its a flat plate of steel welded across the outer door frame. You can identify it by looking at the pinch weld on the rear of the door, it will have about a 4 or 5 inch wide raised "hump" where the beam was welded in.

You'll need the taillight panel for a 240 or early 260, 280 taillights had the separate back up light.

Hey Makenai V8Z,

After this weekend I will have a couple good hatches laying around but I am not sure it would be worth it for you ($$$) to pay for shipping one. I am in Northern California. Orangevale is near Sacramento.

Do you need glass too, I don't think I have any of the early verticle defroster windshields that are any good.

I am not sure what the exterior plastic pieces are thay you refer to. I am thinking you are talking about the three metal dark grey (or whatever they have been painted) parts that surround the tail lights and go behind the license plate? Anyway, if that is the pieces you are looking for I don't have that.

I'll have to check on the license plate light assembly.

I do know a couple other guys in town that have 240z parts cars and could check with them regarding stuff I don't have if you are interested. Email me directly at royce_miller@yahoo.com for more info.

Thanks for posting the great info on the Z body parts. Went early this morning and picked up some super clean fenders at a local JY. But the rear body parts I was looking for were in pretty bad shape.

Royce. I might be heading up to northern Ca during the 2nd week of Feb. My friend is buying a motorcycle and has asked me to head up there. I will be in San Francisco if he can get his deal with the owner. I will keep you posted.

What are you asking for the rear hatch. I really don't care about the vertical or horizontal defroster lines. Just want a clean one. Does it have the lock and a key for it? Thanks MZ

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Makenai V8Z,

I sent you a personal message way back when but don't know if you ever got it. Sorry, I didn't follow up before now! Did you make your way up to San Fran? Did you find the stuff you needed?

If not...

I do have a very good hatch off a 280Z. It is a oxidized maroon color, with glass, stainless window trim, black interior panel, lock and key. The only difference I can tell between it and the one on my 240, besided the defroster lines, is it has the two holes drilled in it for the second, right hand strut mount and different holes for the 280 emblems. If you are going to paint it would be easy to fill in the holes and if you are not going to paint it you probably don't care.

I also have the three piece metal tail light surround panel, best description I could think of. It currently painted black and is complete with good chrome trim for tail light holes. You had mentioned plastic so I am not sure if you are talking about the interior piece or have it confused with the 260/280 plastic style.

Sorry no license plate light!

Let me know either way. Best to reach me for prices by email royce_miller@yahoo.com or cell phone 916-425-0898 (daily between 8am-8pm pacific).

Just trying to support my Z habbit! Maybe it is a dizeaze!

Thanks!