IGNORED

Recent 240KGT Purchase, Help.

kyteler

Hey all, I'm fairly new to this place, I've stumbled across it a few times in my noseying but moe recently I stumbled across it whilst investigating the Skyline 240K, I saw at least one person who frequents this abode owns one and was wondering if they (I forget the name, sorry) or anyone could tell me a bunch of things any they can think of to look out for and take notice of with my new 240K.

It's a KHGC110, partial GTR replica, that being it has GTR badges on it and a GTR lookalike grill (just a standard one with the centre removed)

I'd be keen on knowing main rust areas and basicaly anything I can be informed of about it.

Thanks in advance,

-Michael

1973 Nissan Skyline 240K

Me?

There is also JMT240KGTR here on the board. What to look for I guess would be all the pretty standard stuff, and the rust areas are strangely (not) similar to the Z...

- in the bottom of the doors

- In the bottom of the front fenders just in front of the doors

- In the dogleg panel at the bottom after the doors

- Under the battery

- Under the spare tyre

- In the roof around the edges

- In the floors

Just check everywhere, basically!

Hope to see you here more (in numbers we can be proud!) and I'd love to see some pics if the sale goes through?

Hey there,

Yes, I think you were the one I was referring to, you have the white one in your photo gallery?

I've checked the car for rust and other than slight surface rust where the vinyl roof had been removed and not sandblasted back, it seems fine.

There's also slight surface rust in the boot but it's the kind of stuff you scratch at and it comes off.

The guy who I bought it off said he'd owned a few in his time and this one was the best, basically rust free, overall good condition.

The interior is a bit shabby but it's not too bad really missing the front left carpet, a few tears in the cloth seats and the parcel shelf vinyl is cracked and split obviously sun piercing through the large flat back window isn't good for vinyl.

It's spent about 10 years of it's life in covered storage and has 89000 genuine k's on it.

I simply couldn't pass it up for $1500NZD, especially considering it's wearing Japanese 3-piece Alloys with Dunlop 205/55/15's Directionals, they'd cost near that price alone, I might not be keeping them on though cause they look good but not quite right, I've got a set of Chrome Jollys that were on my brother's old 79 280ZX 2+2, but I've yet to try them for a snug fit in/under the guards, being myself and my brother drove 1200km's there and back to get the car, I can deal with the fact I haven't tried them yet.

So in general I'm quited stoked with the car thus far, I've yet to take it for it's Warrant of Fitness but I don't see it having any problems, the Reg is on hold so once I've got it's warrant it'll be put back to use again.

It didnt have an air cleaner on it but I had a RamFlo lying around so I slapped that on and thankfully it was the exact carb size for it, which is excellent.

I've got to change the oil and filter and flush the radiator and things just so I know it's done and fine and then she'll be ready to go.

I do have some pictures but they're not too flash, how does one go about creating or putting an album of sorts on?

-Michael

1973 Nissan Skyline 240K

I saw your pics! Looks like you have quite a few "Skyline" bits on it... the rear spoiler and "Skyline" badges as well as all the stuff you mentioned...

One thing about your WOF, I'm not sure if they'll like the lack of a mirror :ermm:

BTW, Invercargill is a beautiful place :D

The mirror thing should be fine for the WoF, however I am getting them sent down by the guy who I bought the car off he had them sitting in a box somewhere, the guy who had it before he did had them taken off, god knows why.

He also has some Triple Solex's and manifold for the car, which I'll be getting off him at a later date. And a few more bits and pieces like spare doors/glass/etc. he wants more money for those which is why I couldnt get them at the time.

-Michael

1973 Nissan 240K Skyline

From what I understand, they ARE front fender mirrors, and steel at that, not little plastic ones, so they'll be going right back on there when I get them, without a doubt.

The skyline written on the side of mine is actually Screen-writing but there is a wreck at a local yard that I'm going to take a look at and hopefully get some badges and chrome and anything and everything else I can off of it. I know one side of it definately has the "GT" badge in red/silver (like the modern skylines have on their front fender panels behind the front wheel) and the Skyline badge but with the "S" missing is there too, but if I get those I think I'll be keeping them. :D

Quick question, when you put the foot to the floor accelerating for as far as she'll go, does it only change into third at 110km/h?

-Michael

Yeah it is, but the guy I bought it off has a 5spd from a L28T DR30 that I'll get off him sometime in the future, he also has a pedal box and every conceivable part for changing it to a manual, so, once I've got the money and all the parts, she should be quite a lethal machine.

3krpm at 100kph, I'll keep an eye out next time I take it for a run.

But yes I floored it and it seemed like it wasn't working properly and it finally changed into 3rd gear at 110kph but driving normally in a non psychotic manner it seems to change and ride fine enough.

-Michael

1973 Nissan 240K Skyline

I went into the wrecker today to check out what was left on a 240K that was in there, the guy let me have a look around it, which was a bit of a mission being the car was situated ontop of another car, however I did manage to grab 2x GT badges, w/ broken pins (they're actually plastic :( ) and 1x Skyline badge, the other had the S missing so I didn't think it worth it.

The interesting part however is that it wasn't actually a 240K. It was a L20 2000GT-X so the interior (well, what was left of it) was slightly different, the steering wheel was different, and the dial/knob where on the 240K is nothing, beside the hazard lights is a park light knob, so it's obviously not needed on the 240K hence it not being there, I'm going to grab the 2000 GT-X badge from the grill which was sitting inside the car not attached and the other badges and probably eventually maybe even grab the door trim 200GTX badges and probably the side and quarter windows. Sadly the tail section was missing because I'm betting it would have a NISSAN badge instead of a DATSUN one like the 240K should have.

Wrecker yards are fun.