bad 5-speed box? - Open Chit Chat - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

bad 5-speed box?

Featured Replies

I think I have bad synchro's on 2nd and 3rd, as listed recently by another member. I have adjusted my clutch pedal and changed the slave cylinder to a new one. Problem got a little better but still get a grind on quicker changes.

Might be a silly question but I have to ask; how do I check oil in the box? how do I top it up if that is an option? This is my last resort seeing I have the option to buy another 5 speed box for AUS$150.

The transmission fill plug is on the side of the tranny, a 17mm square on the left side (passenger side for Aussies). Remove the plug and stick your finger in. If it comes out oiled, the box is full.

Umm, you've got a 74 Austrialian Market 260?.. I don't know if that has the "B" 5 speed or the "A". Hopefully It's the "B", as parts for the "A" are getting stupid rare.

The 5 speed for $150 is a bargan, less than it's core value. Buy it, rebuild it. If your current tranny turns out to be allright, buy it anyway and rebuild it in your leisure.

Just make sure you have a adjustable wrench or monkey wrench as some call it.

It's a Square bolt and it's the only one I could get to fit it.

:)

  • Author

thanx guys-fingers crossed hopefully just need some oil.

Check the weight of oil in the tranny! I changed oil in mine and it started doing the same thing. I then read somewhere that the weight of the oil has to be the heavy kind as thinner oil does not allow the synchos to work correctly. I don't remmember what weight to use but make sure it regular gear oil and not synthetic also. Just a couple more things to look at with the grinding of gears.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

Cool, and what would the capacity be? Does 75W-90 Synthetic sound like an ok viscosity? I've read there is an O ring sitting in the speedo cable hole. When I bought the car it was missing the speedo cable. Could there have been a leak via this unplugged hole if the O ring had fallen out???

Yeah the speedo cable has an o-ring and if not there it will most likely leak.

I gave mine a slight amount of gasket gew and I also had a leak at the reverse switch which I used gasket gew once more no problems I've seen and the garage floor is grease free.

Oh and be careful once you remove the speedo gear it will leak oil have a ice cream container ready :).

BTW Sulio I need to speak to u your mobile was off at 11:00 today it's regarding cruise I'm having some trouble with my Z see my post I will be posting now:cry:

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.