IGNORED

Lines/Hoses Help

goose

Just picked this car up from some moron in southern BC. Can you guys help me figure out what these lines are, and what I can just shave off? It's such a mess.

My 260Z Gallery with Labelled Pictures

I found this engine which belows to a member on this site. I labelled some hoses... The setup looks simplistic and functional.... Can you help answer my questions?

hoseshelp.jpg

Thanks so much.

I really want to get this running so I can start the bodywork and interior restoration.

Nice photo.

What I see is someone has made a very good compromise to keep all the vapor control items operating without the stock air cleaner.

A. (Same as "E") crankcase ventilation line in it's stock configuration.

B. Brake booster Vacuum supply line

C. the fuel bowl vents were originally connected to the air cleaner. There's nothing wrong with the way this has been modified, UNLESS the vents are exposed to too much vacuum, witch will lean out the mix.

D. That was connected to the air cleaner to supply a slight vacuum to the vapor system. Hopefully, it's now connected to the new air cleaner and NOT to a vacuum tap on a carb or manifold. The system only needs a slight negative pressure.

Hey! that Z is kinda pretty! Can I have it?

Victor, You get an AAAAAAAAA+++++++++. Thanks for the compliments on the car. Any suggestions on what would work better. Thanks Goose, yes to the crankcase Straight through no other connections. I suggest you get rid of the flat top carbs and go with round top, also get rid of all the hoses and smog stuff like you see on mine. What you see is the after..I did that to mine. Here is the before pic......................

post-908-14150792848126_thumb.jpg

I think they are asbestos. I removed the wrappings today to install a fuel filter and new hoses. Now I feel cancerous ;)

Thanks again for the help guys. I removed a lot of hoses and stuck on some rubber plugs from NAPA. Tommorow i'll pick upa few more and some more hose to replace the old fabric stuff.

Then the float repairs. My float sank, so I used JB Weld to cover up the wear and tear. Unfortunately the difference in temp. caused the JB Weld to be drawn through the holes, so... The leak remains. One more coat should do it.

hey ,

is it worth putting on a set of dual dgv 32/36 webber carbs on my 73' datsun 240z. i thought the carbs were running bad so i bought a set of the webbers for it but the cards seem to work ok. should i still put them on?

is it worth putting on a set of dual dgv 32/36 webber carbs on my 73' datsun 240z. i thought the carbs were running bad so i bought a set of the webbers for it but the cards seem to work ok. should i still put them on?

The jury is still out on that one. Popular consencus votes to scrap the tuna can carbs. Some say the Hitachi's can be tuned to perfection - you just need to learn them. Many say that the DGV's will Never out perform a set of round tops, others swear by them.

In my camp, simpler is better. Nothing is more simple than a set of round top SU's. 2 carbs, 2 moving parts each.

Asbestos seems to come to mind, not sure though.

Yea, It's Asbestos. No worries. Most Asbestos hubub you hear is typical media overreaction. The ol Knee-Jerk. Asbestosis is bad. If you worked 10 or so years mining, refining or processing asbestos - nasty. Asbestos is just silicon but it has sharp points and it imbeds itself into lung tissue, irritating it over a LONG period. bad things happen. Same goes for sand. Sand blasters get Silicosis. Same problem, Same action, same result. No one bans the beach.

I'd keep it. It was Nissan's answer to rising complaints of vaporlock. I have the Service Bulletin somewhere in my Nissan Maintenance bulletin books