IGNORED

New Rabbit Hole: Door armrest chrome finisher: 74-78-260z-280z

Jeff Berk

In my latest attempt at logging tens of hours into refusing to spend $30 and up for parts that should cost <$10, I'm focusing on recreating the chromed plastic cover over the top bolt holding the arm rest onto the door of my 260Z. 

The part was reportedly never offered on its own and is NLA except as a reproduction. One of mine broke in half and the other is almost at that point. 

https://www.thezstore.com/product/1517/door-armrest-chrome-finisher-74-78-260z-280z

I'm playing around with creating a high quality 3D scan, printing the part with a 3D printer, and coating it with chrome. So far I've attempted with a scan using my Android phone, then a $1K+ stand alone scanner. The print is close to being where I want it. I'm going to try and chrome it using chrome vinyl film like what's used in vehicle wraps.

I'm posting this to force myself to following through. I plan on posting the final obj file for anyone wanting to print one for their own use.

The attached early attempted scan obj file can be opened in MS Paint 3D for viewing.

3DModel_LowPoly.obj

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...