IGNORED

1975 280Z Using Voltage Regulator Wiring (L terminal?) To Add Charge Indicator Lamp

HusseinHolland

So, a little background. For my AC system control relay, I need a signal that ties into the charging circuit (D+61). On a Volvo, this would travel to the ground side of the idiot light, and ground through the alternator (D+61 terminal) when the engine is not running. 

240ACwiring.jpg

As far as I can tell, there is no way to wire this to the alternator, as it doesn't have a equivalent connection

75 280Z

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 8.04.07 PM.png

Volvo alternator, has an additional diode pack. I don't even know if using a later internally regulated Datsun alternator would fit the bill.

PXL_20230928_225546365~2.jpg

I read in another thread (can't quote it here) @SteveJ - That the L terminal of the V reg would serve to provide the charge indicator lamp circuit I need

The 1975 wiring diagram shows a wire connected to the L terminal, but it also shows a voltmeter, so I'm assuming that is an error

77 color diagram shows the wiring through to the voltmeter & charge indicator lamp

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 8.32.08 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 8.40.53 PM.png

75 diagram - The wiring diagrams I have show a Blue or a Grey connected to the harness side of this. Following it through, it seems to go to the Interlock Relay (which my car doesn't have)

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 8.39.40 PM.png   Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 9.28.26 PM.png

FSM shows a W/R wire connected to the L terminal though. 

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 9.20.05 PM.png 

So, to get to the point, does the '75 voltage regulator in fact have that L terminal & internal circuit that I could utilize? 

Edited by HusseinHolland

Here is the deal. As far as I'm concerned, there are gaps between the documentation and reality for the 75. On page EE-14, the manual shows a charge light. Since I've never owned or really worked on a 75, I can't tell if it exists. The 75 should still have an ammeter as far as I know. I don't have a full 75 FSM, so I don't have the BE section to cross-check anything. The parts manual shows an ammeter for the 75. So where would the charge light be? I don't know.

image.png

Thanks Steve - I have the 75 FSM (original hardcopy). It matches the online copy that I have, besides the glitches from scanning

There is no charge lamp on my 4/75 280Z. I do have the ammeter . Manual shows an interlock relay, but I don't have that either.

EDIT - when the rain stops, hopefully Sunday - I'll look at the actual harness plug & see if I can wire a test lamp to the L circuit. Should be easy enough to determine from there if it will suit my needs. Thank you for pointing out the L terminal in the other thread.

from page EE-14:

screenshot-drive.google.com-2023.09.29-06_55_01.png

EDIT  -lookng through my earlier pics - I have an empty spot in the v/reg harness for the L terminal 

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 7.57.51 PM.png

EDIT - thinking about the actual lamp - I can repurpose the non-functional low fuel indicator. I'll cut the Bl/Y wire back in the harness & connect that to the L terminal & Blk/Wh wire at my AC relay.

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 7.52.32 PM.png

spacer.png

I've taken a Volvo seat belt warning lamp & sanded off the symbol, so I can fit that in the console for the charge indicator lamp

PXL_20230929_232013905.jpg

Edited by HusseinHolland