IGNORED

75 280Z Leakage from top of gas tank when filling

HusseinHolland

1975 280Z, CA car.

So today is the first time I have put gas in the car. Drove it around to check the exhaust note after redoing the exhaust. I filled it - took about 13 gallons. Within seconds fuel started pouring down the back right side of the tank from above the seam. As an aside, getting my wife to like being in the car is getting more & more difficult 😞

In any event, looking in the manuals there are two EVAP lines on the top of the tank. So, I'm assuming the leak is either an aged hose (#28 or 29) that has ruptured, and/or one of the necks is leaking at the tank. I don't know if that's a thing with these though, so I'm hoping it's just the hoses.

Looking online, dropping the tank doesn't appear to be a major deal. Any pointers or catches I should be aware of? 

Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 9.20.15 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 9.13.38 PM.png

Edited by HusseinHolland

On 8/6/2023 at 6:36 PM, HusseinHolland said:

... So, I'm assuming the leak is either an aged hose (#28 or 29) that has ruptured, and/or one of the necks is leaking at the tank. I don't know if that's a thing with these though, so I'm hoping it's just the hoses.

We've had a couple of fuel tanks with leaks on the solder joints at the hose fittings so you can't totally discount that. Hoses are more likely. 

Dropping the tank is fairly easy even with the myriad of hoses. Just disconnect the ones you can see and bring it down slowly until you can get to all of them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1