IGNORED

280z with MN47 head N42 block update

Dave WM

oil consumption issue seems to be fixed. I switched to 10/30 VR1 since my oil seemed to be all ways stuck at about 60psi indicated (like it was in bypass all the time) Since going to the lighter oil it looks more normal (maxed at 60psi cold, but will vary with the RPM when warmed up. I had been running 20/50 and or 15/40 with the old oil burner.

checked compression warm, all about 185 (throttle closed). This is with dished pistons and the head off a 84 maxima.

I would have an occasional miss, I think it was injector harness related, I replaced all the plugs at the injectors, seems to have fixed the intermittent miss. The old ones were pretty beat up, and I noticed some of the contacts had partially retracted from the plastic housing. For replacement I used the kind with the integrated push to release spring. I did not want to pig tail to the old harness so I just cut the off right at the old connector and crimped on new hardware. the tiny loss of length was immaterial. 

But now I have what looks like a rear main seal leak, Guess it could be the pan but it seems to be coming out of the weep hole of the bell housing. So the plan is to replace the pilot bush, along with all the rest of the clutch stuff. I have a spare ZX flywheel so will go with the excedy 6030 240mm kit. I cleaned up the fly wheel some while it was running on the test stand. 

I sure hope its not the rear main side seals, those are a pita as the pan has to come off. I prob should do the pan and side seal when the trans is off, but I will make that call when I pull the trans. If its clearly the rear main then will just do that. If I see evidence of side seal leakage then will have to escalate to pan off and side seals. looks like it would be much easier to pull the pan when the trans is off.

Car is running great, got about 25-26 on a 800 mile round trip to AL a couple weeks ago. Did not notice the oil leak at that time, more reason for me to think its the rear main. I took too many short cuts when doing the swap, I should have just spent the time when the engine was on the stand....

• Like 2

I had a spare clutch sleeve, think it was from a ZX, anyway with it sitting on top of the pressure plate fingers its about 105mm from the flange of the pressure plate to the very end of the throw out assembly (with old bearing sitting on the fingers). Its about 10mm from the end of the assembly to the point of contact where the fork rides. So overall about 95mm from the flywheel to the clutch fork. Somewhere around I think i saw 92mm as what this dimension should be. I will check it against the old one when I get it out to be sure.

The quality of the excedy is so much better than the kit I got from auto zone years ago. the PP fit to the dowels pefectly and I like the made in japan bearing it came with (Koyo). 

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1