IGNORED

What's needed for an R200 4.11 differential swap on an '78 280Z?

PrOxLaMuS©

I found an 200SX Turbo in a junkyard with an complete R200 4.11 differential. Is this an LSD differential?

I decided it would be a great swap for my automatic tranny 280Z.

What parts are necessary for a complete swap?

I heard that for an 280Z it's a direct bolt on, but is it really?

Do I have to mess with the speedometer or need any other parts other than JUST the differential?

Also in this junkyard there are several 300ZX turbo's sitting out there. I have read about this swap here...

but i'm not sure on the difficulty or ease of the install and things required for the swap.

The swap should be a stright accross swap . 411 behind an automatic, you will be spinning some serious RPMs on the hwy. I am running a auto also and am going with a 370 I think a 390 would be perfect for an auto. as far as LSD I doubt vary much. I am installing the R-200 in a 240 . and all I needed was a front cross member and mustash bar from the 280 . so you should be able to swap stright accross. Get the speedo gear from the donor car , that will need to be changed , you can just change the gear and use the present carrier . the LSD had a aluminum back cover that had to be changed . Good luck Gary:classic:

If all things are the same, the 4.11 car will get off the line quicker but you'll be spinning higher RPM's at highway speed. That means poorer gas mileage and slight increase in wear-n-tear on the engine. It will also reduce your top-end speed.

I think you would be much happier with the 390 . If you were to change to a late 5speed then the 411 would be good. As for the 390 , check out this web site geocities.com/zgarage2001/engine.html I think you will find a treasure chest of information you are looking for. Gary:classic:

Not to rub it in, but I just bought a LSD R200 with 3.90 gears. (I have a 5-Speed)

I got it from "Stoney" over at Hybridz.org. It's coming from Alaska. :cross-eye

UPS Tracking tells me it should be on my doorstep tuesday. :classic:

Originally posted by PrOxLaMuS©

damn, how much was that to ship.. wow

Not sure, I think it was around $150.00. It weighed 93.2 lbs, and

is probably in non-UPS container. I paid a flat $600.00 for the Diff + shipping. (UPS Ground)

If I remember, I'll post the shipping details when I get the Diff.

:alien: