IGNORED

Paddle Shift... Manual/Auto Tranny.. u kno

I was curious... has anyone heard of a Padel Shift... like on the new Ferrari's and Lambo's???

Its basically an Manual transmission, but with no clutch pedal...

so it's basically an Automatic, but it doesn't automatically shift for you, all you have to do is basically shift the car by yourself w/o a clutch. They do this because it gains an advantage in faster shifts which equalls faster acceleration and better times

Most newer automatic cars have this feature sorta... but you can also put it in drive and it automatically shifts for you.... which padel shifts can't do.

So.. I was wondering... either...

Is it safe to "padel shift" my automatic transmission? I have read little info, and that what I may have to do is get an auxilary transmission cooler, since running the car at High RPM's on an automatic.. lets say sliding the shifter to (1) produces alot of pressure in the transmission.

How can I do this safely or can I simply not do it?

and if that won't work... is there any way that someone or a shop could somehow fabricate an padel shift transmission to my L28??

hmmmmm.... if not... (that's 3 now) maybe i'll go through the trouble putting in an 5-speed.

Im not sure how much itd cost to custom fabricate one of these, but I know that Veilside makes one for the MK IV Supra, and that costs about 2.5 grand. It may be a quicker shift, but it also adds more weight than a regular tranny. Im not exactly sure about your first question, but I'd think that if they have the tiptronic shifter then it should be able to do ok, either that or they'd need to be replacing some tranny's ;)

Mike

Originally posted by PrOxLaMuS©

Is it safe to "padel shift" my automatic transmission? I have read little info, and that what I may have to do is get an auxilary transmission cooler, since running the car at High RPM's on an automatic.. lets say sliding the shifter to (1) produces alot of pressure in the transmission.

How can I do this safely or can I simply not do it?

That one!

I've been thinking about this for a while, to build it myself (still studying comp-eng/comp-sci) I reckon it'd be about 2-3k + lots of time setting up the system.

By far the most complicated part is the software. I'm pretty sure I could make a fast race one but I have no idea how smooth it'd be

so... obviously... not a very practical idea... and very expensive..

so then... back to "that" question...

Can i safely shift from the furthest position (1) to about 5,600 RPM and then shift to (2) again to about 5,600 RPM and then finally to (D) safely? *only using 5,600 RPM as an example... I feel that running to the redline on an automatic will do some damage to the tranny*

When i was reading info about my Sentra, I heard it was BAD to do that.. only because the back pressure and heat building up can damage the transmission.

SO will an auxilary tranny cooler, or rebuilt tranny, allow me to safely do this?

*Manually* shifting my automatic through only 3 gears and then letting it take over in (D) drive, allows me to run to much higher RPM's and much faster acceleration times.... that is why I am curious.

you'll get better times revving it a little higher than factory normally, but a semi-auto is very different to an auto with paddle shift etc. I still think semi-auto conversion is possible, but would take a fair bit of work. I'd still be interested in trying it out if anyone has a spare gearbox? hehe