IGNORED

Vintage Air Heater Valve Stuck

heyitsrama

Howdy,

Some members (including me) have been switching over to a Vintage Air setup, I ran into a problem on my setup which was that the heater was not getting warm. This is just for a record if anyone else has the issue with a Vintage Air Gen 2 5 Wire Heater Valve. Note you have a 3 year warranty on these things, so email their support and get them to send you another one before opening it up.

I removed the valve, plugged it into the control module, got ACC power on, and moved the heater switch around to test the connection, it looked like the block valve was stuck.

Upon opening the valve up, there was grease all over the contact board that allows the heater valve to know what position that it is in, after cleaning this contact pad up it started working as expected.

This was the troubleshooting steps that were given to me from the support team, i did not follow them as my unit now seems to work. I will see how it responds in the up coming weeks.

On a Gen II system, especially after the install, most of the time there is an issue with the switch in the controls. The wires are small and sometimes during the install they will accidently get broken or the switch gets damaged. We need to test the switch first - about 2" from the switch is white plastic connector, we will need to test, with a volt meter, the middle White/yellow wire in this connector, plugged in with the Ignition Key and Fan Switch on - it should vary between 0-12V as it is moved between Warm and Off. If it doesn't the switch needs to be replaced - if it test good, verify you have 12V on the White/orange wire at the plug connected to the HCV and also make sure the small White Ground wire from the Control Module is grounded by itself and not stacked with any other grounds. If you have any questions or need to order an replacement part, give me a call. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5aec.jpg

The three gears must be removed and the contact pads are on the underside of that PBC. If you want to remove both halves you can wedge something between the black out housings and pry apart, the valve is a press fit into the large gear under this PBC.

It nice having heat! make the car more bearable.