Ball joint and steering knuckle - Suspension & Steering - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Ball joint and steering knuckle

Featured Replies

Hi all!

I been reading thru all the posts on steering knuckle and ball joints, but not sure they're helping me, so apologies if there's already something out there for this...

I've got a 72 240, pulled apart the front suspension and now putting things back.  I bought new ball joints and have the original steering knuckle.  I know the new ball joint stud is a bit wider than the old one, but when I put the knuckle on, it seems to drop over the stud about the same as the old and I wouldn't have to ream it out.  What am I missing or doing wrong?

 

Appreciate the help!

Bill

 balljoint1.jpg

balljoint2.jpg

balljoint3.jpg

balljoint4.jpg

did you try measuring the taper? better than trying to eyeball it.

  • Author

Thanks Dave.  I'll need to buy a digital caliper today to measure.  where on the stud should I measure and if I need to measure the height, is it ok to take the boot off the new one to do this?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.