Please help so lost! - Classic ZX - 2nd to 4th Generation - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Please help so lost!

Featured Replies

24 minutes ago, toastedboy54 said:

 I’d really like to hook up my gauges (none are right now) I have I think most of the plugs on my car still.

Firstly, lay off the toast, boy.  It makes for bad writin".

Then get a copy of an FSM and see where the gauge senders are.  You didn't say which gauges.

  • Author
Firstly, lay off the toast, boy.  It makes for bad writin".
Then get a copy of an FSM and see where the gauge senders are.  You didn't say which gauges.

Well all of them ideally but I’d be ok with oil pressure and water temp


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are the wires?  The sensors/senders are in the same spot for both engines.

You have a picture of the wrong oil sensor for a ZX engine and a thermotime switch, which is common to many engines but won't tell you coolant temperature.  That yellow wire is probably your temperature gauge wire.  What is it connected to?

  • Author
Where are the wires?  The sensors/senders are in the same spot for both engines.
You have a picture of the wrong oil sensor for a ZX engine and a thermotime switch, which is common to many engines but won't tell you coolant temperature.  That yellow wire is probably your temperature gauge wire.  What is it connected to?

The yellow wire is connected to nothing and wrong oil sender?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Find something in the vicinity of the thermotime switch with an end that looks like a sender.  It's a single terminal, not double like the thermotime.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1983,280zx,2.8l+l6+turbocharged,1209406,cooling+system,temperature+sender+/+sensor,4748

Actually I was wrong about the oil sensor, that looks like the right one.  Find the wire that fits that terminal.  It must be there somewhere.  Download the FSM from the site and the wiring diagram will show the wire color.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1983,280zx,2.8l+l6+turbocharged,1209406,electrical-switch+&+relay,oil+pressure+sender+/+switch,4588 

https://www.classiczcars.com/files/category/14-280zx/

 

 

  • Author
Find something in the vicinity of the thermotime switch with an end that looks like a sender.  It's a single terminal, not double like the thermotime.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1983,280zx,2.8l+l6+turbocharged,1209406,cooling+system,temperature+sender+/+sensor,4748
Actually I was wrong about the oil sensor, that looks like the right one.  Find the wire that fits that terminal.  It must be there somewhere.  Download the FSM from the site and the wiring diagram will show the wire color.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1983,280zx,2.8l+l6+turbocharged,1209406,electrical-switch+&+relay,oil+pressure+sender+/+switch,4588 
https://www.classiczcars.com/files/category/14-280zx/
 
 

I think I have the wrong oil unit but I might have the right temp plug 6c97030b6da002da2cb169bb8eb5058f.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right I didn't blow up the pictures.  I knew better too.  After 78 most, or all, Z's came with a two prong sensor.  Look for a wire with a two prong plug on it.   T shaped.  You're about there...  Good luck.

 

image.png

 

Edited by Zed Head

  • Author
You're right I didn't blow up the pictures.  I knew better too.  After 78 most, or all, Z's came with a two prong sensor.  Look for a wire with a two prong plug on it.   T shaped.  You're about there...  Good luck.
 
image.png.1cd235e2d7f148322d6cce2cf0d25d32.png
 

I found it, totally different sending unit. How do I hook up the speedo?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Author
You're right I didn't blow up the pictures.  I knew better too.  After 78 most, or all, Z's came with a two prong sensor.  Look for a wire with a two prong plug on it.   T shaped.  You're about there...  Good luck.
 
image.png.1cd235e2d7f148322d6cce2cf0d25d32.png
 

Also that wasn’t the right wire for the water temp


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10 hours ago, toastedboy54 said:


I found it, totally different sending unit. How do I hook up the speedo?
 

It's probably disconnected at the transmission.  Connect it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.