IGNORED

Console Tech

ensys

"If so, would anyone in this narrow class of dedicated self-abusers, care to share the secrets of their success?"

Oh! Hi there!

Yup, I've done exactly this a few years back. Fiberglass mat and ABS cement will do what you need. I glopped on the cement (it's just ABS plastic melted in MEK) on the screw studs that were blown out and glued back the ones that were broken.

Bottom pictures are of my steering column clamshell that had all the screw pockets broken off. Turns out we had some corporate pens at the office that were perfectly sized to be glued in place. Same approach would work on the arm rest lid.

IMG_4314.jpgIMG_4312.jpgIMG_4636.jpgIMG_4641.jpg

• Like 4

Cowabunga! The BIC pen gambit is a fine bit of inspiration. Sometimes the obvious solutions are the hardest to ken. Thanks Dennis.

Ah, Mr.Kwin; nice to hear from a kindred spirit. As most of my posts were blown out in a zillion small pieces, I will have to make the most of the pen idea. The only issue might be plastic type, but I've just re-done the pesky console break using an Oatley multi-blend billed as good for ABS, PVC, etc., so we will see. So, its off to Office Depot for a few BIC sticks. Still cheaper than the rods I bought, and no careful drilling req'd. Now, if I can find the right diameter of thin wall tubing to sheath the posts (to prevent cracking when threading the first time), I'll have every base covered.

On a related point, I set out to straighten the tall side of the console that had developed a very wavy edge that I figure induced additional stress on the short side where the breaks developed. It took some fair heat (handle with care), but I got it straightened out before re-gluing the opposite side.

Incidentally, don't underestimate the ashtray frame's part in maintaining the console's geometry around the hole..

Thanks one and all for getting into this and for  the excellent suggestions.