IGNORED

Parts Wanted: Brake fluid distribution valve

Mike

Brake fluid distribution valve

Hi all, I'm looking for a new or rebuilt brake fluid distribution valve.  This is the one thing I didn't replace during my restoration and it's time to do it.  Unfortunately my current one is leaking and needs to be replaced before I drive it this summer. 

I did a pretty exhaustive search on our club site as well as other sites.  Unfortunately, I don't see anyone mention a source to buy these rebuilt (or NOS).  I want to keep the stock appearance and not really looking at attempting an upgrade.  Looking for the entire valve, including switch.

Can you please shoot me a message, or reply to this topic, if you know of a source?  I prefer to have it ready to install because I just don't have the shop space to do my own work anymore.

• Advertiser
    Mike
  • Date
    05/22/2019
  • Price
  • Category
  • Year
  • Model
    240z

After looking this up on the Microfiche, the description shows up as ASSY-SWITCH BRAKE INDICATOR.  Other posts on our site also suggest this thing really doesn't work for most cars (it didn't on mine because my master cylinder was dry due to a leak).  It would be good to get it to function again, but, my main concern is mostly to get the leak fixed so I can get on the road.

Here's a shot of the microfiche - Part number 46100-26100 or 46100-U5200

Screenshot 2019-05-22 19.19.26.png

Found this reference over at the datsun1200.com website.  The same part number is used on other Datsuns as well.

Credit:  Datsun 1200 Club

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Warning_Light_Switch

Warning Light Switch

From Datsun 1200 Club

Datsun 1200 encyclopedia | Recent changes | Edit this page | Page history | Switch to MediaWiki mode  
Printable version | Disclaimers | Privacy policy
Category: Brake System

The braking system of North American 1200s was fitted with a 5-way splitter combined with a pressure failure warning switch. For safety, if a loss of pressure occurs, the Brake lamp lights up on the dash.

21599.jpgAlbum click to view

[edit]

Overview

The switch does not effect brake bias (it's not a Proportioning Valve).

19761.jpgAlbum click to view 19762.jpgAlbum click to view

Warning Light Switch (brake line pressure differential) 
7663.jpgAlbum click to view

Datsun 1200 LHD disk brake model. From the north american factory manual.

A warning light is located on the instrument panel to warn the driver when a pressure difference of 13 to 17 kg/cm2 (185 to 242 lb/sq in) exists between the front and rear brake systems. 

A hydraulically actuated warning light switch is located in the engine compartment. Both front and rear brake systems are connected to the switch assembly. 

When a pressure difference of 13 to 17 kg/cm2 (185 to 242 lb/sq in) occursbetween the front and rear brake systems, the valves will shuttle toward the side with the low pressure. The valve contacts with the switch terminal, the ground circuit for the warning light is completed, and thus the warning light lights. 

In this case, correct the hydraulic brake problem and bleed the brakes. 

Check the warning light switch assembly for a proper operation. Check the switch assembly for fluid leakage. 

NOTE: Do not attempt to repair switch for any reason: replace switch assembly completely.

There are two inputs (front and rear from master cylinder). And three output (two for each front brake, and one output back to the rear brakes. The electrical connector goes to the dash light.

[edit]

Wiring

The brake lamp is fitted to North America 1200s per US federal law. Other 1200s did not have a lamp in this spot until October 1975.

174_4b9cac5a7b3af.jpgPost click for topic

See also: Brake Wiring

1972 USA Owners manual (Page 11 ... ?

th_00_cover.jpg   th_11.jpg
BRAKE SYSTEM WARNING LAMP 

If either half of the dual brake system fails, the brake warning light (BRAKE) glows when brakes are applied. You must stop the car immediately and if you can safely operate with two-wheel brakes, move your car at reduced speed to the nearest service station. 

This warning light is also used as the parking brake warning light. 

Before starting, if the warning light does not glow when the parking brake and ignition switch are on, have the electrical system checked.

wls_cutaway.jpg

[edit]

Part Numbers

46100-U5200 ASSY-SWITCH BRAKE INDICATOR <> 46100-26100 $152 USD
* B110 USA
* S30 USA
wls.jpg

¤

I won't lie, I did not read it all but there is a quantity of 280z NOS that is either your model number or a later model on eBay with a switch for $99 in North Carolina. Subtle differences.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Datsun-Nissan-280Z-Assembly-Switch-Brake-Indicator-Proportion-Valve-/113668719468

Sorry if that is not what you're after.

9 hours ago, Rill Cosby said:

I won't lie, I did not read it all but there is a quantity of 280z NOS that is either your model number or a later model on eBay with a switch for $99 in North Carolina. Subtle differences.

Sorry if that is not what you're after.

Hi Rill, thanks for the link!  It looks like that one is for a 280z.  The earlier 240z model has some differences.  I appreciate the help!

I made a call to Les Cannaday at CDM, he's checking to see if he has an extra that can be refurbished.

FYI, I confirmed this morning that mine is leaking out from the large nut on the left side.  Nissan couldn't have installed this thing in a more inconvenient location.  It's going to be an interesting replacement project.