IGNORED

'78 280Z with an 280ZX turbo exhuast manifold.. im lost.. :(

Ok.. finally I am going to get my 1978 280Z within days now.. as soon as my parents get a baby loan.

But anywho.... If I wanted to put in a turbo into my L28, can I use an turbo exhuast manifold from an 280ZX and simply put it into my older 280Z? I know that i would have to get an intercooler and turbo and down-pipe...

but would I have to get different injectors and pitons and stuff? or would the engine be safe with just putting on an ZX turbo exhuast manifold, turbo and intercooler and ZX downpipe?

You might be better off to find a complete Turbo engine if you really want to do it right and have less headaches with setting up the engine, and it might cost less in the long run.

If you run the Turbo on the stock L-28 you are going to be running compression that's just a little higher than the Turbo engines did, which would mean you would have to be especially careful with your ignition, as any amount of detonation could be terminal. If I remember right without looking it up, the Turbo engines ran around a 7.8:1 compression ratio while your L-28 is around 8.3 or so.....

The other plus of using the complete Turbo engine would be that you would have the stronger F-54 block.