IGNORED

Fuel tank sending unit leak

tanny

I replaced the fuel tank sending unit o-ring and it still seeps gasoline. Any suggestions on how to seal better? Is there some type of sealer that I could apply to the o-ring that might help with the sealing but not bond the sending unit in place? Wishful thinking probably. Thanks, Victor.

Originally posted by tanny

I replaced the fuel tank sending unit o-ring and it still seeps gasoline. Any suggestions on how to seal better? Is there some type of sealer that I could apply to the o-ring that might help with the sealing but not bond the sending unit in place? Wishful thinking probably. Thanks, Victor.

Hi Victor:

I don't know of a sealer that is fuel safe. There must be one, I just don't know of it yet. Are you sure that leak is coming from the O-ring and not from the the pipes above the the sender? I've seen the solder that secures those pipes into the tank crack and allow seepage. If you can wiggle the pipe(s) and they move, the solder is broken.

Was the groove that the o-ring seats into clean? Sure you didn't pinch it when re-assembling? I've never had to use anything but the o-ring to seal mine.

Yes, the groove looked clean and the leak is definitely coming from the seal. I'm wondering if maybe the groove on the fuel sensor might be warped, I didn't really inspect it that closely. Or maybe the hold down tangs that the retainer turns into are not tight enough. As soon as I get below 1/2 tank I'll rip it out and take a better look. Thanks, Victor.