IGNORED

should I keep it(240z)? (longish)

jhemphi

I have a 5/70 240 that I bought cheap, but it was sleeting and getting dark. The I gotta have it took over. Problems: L88 head, air conditioning - not wired up but plumed who knows how, fair amount of strange wiring, lots of little rust bubbles under paint, Home made front reinforcement on left front frame, the rest of the frame rust disconected on that side, right side stock but mashed towards the rear, later model 240 dash retrofitted (perhaps for AC).

Really want a '70. Rest of car looks fairly good, clutch feels great, good SU's, glass, suspect good engine (have some stalling problems(electrical or fuel lines I think), but when it runs it runs great. Suspect new (later model) transmision, tie rods, struts. Have know how to fix.

Question keep or punt?

- Jack Hemphill

The frame rail rust is bad news.Most had bad frame rust under the battery tray.It starts from batterys overflowing acid.That drain pan and hose are very inportant.Odds are your floor pans are gone also.There is a tar like coating on them.One I redid I thought there was a small hole.A close look showed big problems.All AC was after market for 240's.Even"Factory was add at the dealer.There was no special ACdash.Soundslike you have a parts car or a body work lesson in your future.Perhaps you could find a rust free/better shell and swap parts over.Have fun!

Thanks for the advice Daniel. I got the sides wrong, using metric sides you know, you were right on about the damage being essentially battery drip related. The car is for me so I don't really care if anyone else balks at my decidedly non acctually '70 dash or not. Found a friend of a friend that I can likely trade out of some good metel work to fab frame rails and fix the floorboard that the mashed driverside almost certainly is screaming for. Can't afford to spend the money on new aftermarket ones and do Anything else though. I think I can weld things in place well enough to get the thing road safe. I do have a question about after market caster?camber adjustments for that link. Are those the ones available and do they have enough adjustment to make up for the almost certain difference that new frame rails will have from stock?

- Jack Hemphill