IGNORED

Trans swap

I’m building a 73 240 wide body car. The stock motor is blown so I’m putting in a L28 motor. I have a 5 spd trans from a 86 300ZX. Can they get together w/o being a song and dance? Or will it be easier to fine a 70’s 5 spd trans?

The trans out of the 86 300ZX (non turbo) is a FS5W71C transmission.

It will fit, but will need the bellhousing from the FS5W71B or the F4W71B. It won't just bolt up.The 300ZX VG30E engine has a different bolt pattern.

You will also need to modify or make a new rear transmission cross member and shorten the propeller shaft or find one from a series 1 240Z. The 71C is basically 50mm longer in the rear section.

• 2 weeks later...

EuroDat thanks for the come back. I was hoping for a quick fix. But since it won’t be guess I’ll be looking for a tranny. And since there’s a lot of them out there I’ll pick one up. This one is still connected to my 300 motor. Now is there any 5sp tranny better than other?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

When peolle upgrade from the 4 speed to the speed, most go for the "close ratio" five speed in the 81-83 280ZX transmission.

Be carefull. It has to be a 280ZX coupe non turbo. The 2+2 has the wide ratio like the 280Z. 2+2 also has the larger 240mm clutch disc and flywheel, but that is another story.

Im not saying a "close ratio" is better. There are things to consider when you choose which transmission.

The 240Z 4 speed came with a 3.364:1 diff ratio. Not a good ratio with a close ratio tranny. You could search for a 260Z, 280Z or 280ZX auto model with the 3.545:1 ratio.

The wide ratio would be better with the 3.364:1 diff. Just something to think about.

I have a 3.7:1 out of a 300ZX early 86 model. It works well behind the close ratio, but I have a 280Z and it is a relatively easy swap.

Here are some documents I put together. They might help you work out what you want.

Identification FS5W71B.pdf

What does the codering mean.pdf

FS5W71B 280Z and 280ZX transmissions.pdf