IGNORED

Speedometer gear

tanny

Posted this before but got no answer. I tried to order a 19 tooth (white) speedometer gear from Courtesy Nissan but the parts guy seemed confused by my description and we couldn't come up with a part. Does anyone have a part No. for this item? Is this listed under the five speed or four speed? Will the gear from later model Zs fit the 240? Thanks, Victor.

Victor,

I'm willing to try to help.

I have some part numbers for the speedo gears, but what transmission is it for?

Is it the "A" type or the "B" type, and is it 4-speed or 5-speed?

If you can get back with a reply, in the meantime I'll go and dig out the tranny book from the cupboard ( its a danger to your health just to open the doors at the moment; I'll have to wear a hard hat! ).

Alan T.

OK - I've scanned a page from an old Datsun Competition parts catalogue which seems to have most of the information ( and even in English ).

I hope that the numbers will be legible from this scan.

Alan T.

post-2116-14150792648285_thumb.jpg

Here's a page from the Nissan Sport Service ( Factory race and rally parts manual ) manual for option transmissions. Notice that the numbers are different, but I think they are in many cases the same parts;

Alan T.

post-2116-1415079264874_thumb.jpg

So it looks like the part number that you need is 32703-78103 for the 4-speed up to 8/71 in USA and all the 5-speeds, or 32703-P2619 for the post 9/71 in USA 4-speeds.

It would have been a lot easier if they called a spade a spade and just said "A" or "B" type - but there you go.

Those Japanese manual numbers are probably different because its a really early edition. The Datsun Competition manual numbers will probably be more help to you if ordering in the USA.

Alan T.

Tanny,

It would be nice to know whether my efforts were any help or not. To go to a bit of trouble to dig out what I thought was the relevant info and then not get any response is a little bit disappointing to say the least............................:ermm:

Alan T.

For some reason I never saw your reply. I always check off email notification but this time I may not have. I was also disappointed that nobody had answered. I'd better just check my questions manually and not depend on the email notification. Thanks alot for the responses. I will check with Courtesy Nissan again and see if this will solve the problem. Thanks again, Victor.

Alan,

The Japanese part no.(32703-78103(S30) was the correct no., and I was able to look it up on the Courtesy Nissan site and find it immediately. I then called them to order, and it was no problem. Thanks alot for the research. Victor.

Michael,

Thanks for the offer, but Iwas able to order it as above.

Great!

Glad that the numbers were of help, and I hope it will be useful info for others too now that its going to be in the 'archives' so to speak ( as mperdue pointed out ).

Its nice to finish off a thread and bring it to a successful conclusion too.

All the best,

Alan T.

I'll try to remember to submit the results of my speedometer pinion switch. Since I had no idea what the rear end ratio was, I had to figure from that calculator using rpms, mph, etc. Hope I was right or I wasted 20 bucks. Another question: I tried taking the old speedo gear out of the transmission when I was rebuilding the engine, but it wouldn't budge after I took the retainer off. Any similar experiences or suggestions on removal would be appreciated. Thanks, Victor.

• 2 years later...