IGNORED

Tool or materials to deep clean all the light bulb female sockets

jalexquijano

Do you really need to purchase this brush kit to clean all the female light sockets on your 240z?

https://www.amazon.com/IPA-8086-Light-Socket-Brush/dp/B00KHC651Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514492241&sr=8-2&keywords=brush+bulb+socket

or could you use a dremel that has a bronze brush?

Edited by jalexquijano

I used a brass disk-style brush for mine last week. It did fairly well, I thought. Afterward, I used some tiny steel picks to scratch/clean the areas the brush couldn't get to. A coating of dielectric grease afterward should keep things from corroding after that.

2 hours ago, 240260280 said:

You can get copper pipe cleaners at most pluming shops for a few dollars:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Plumbing-Tools-Brushes/N-5yc1vZbqnb

I found lot of rust and a burnt bulb. Cleaned the socket with a battery terminal steel brush. Should i use a brass or copper brush instead?

20171231_092010.jpg

1. Pull the assembly out

2. Disconnect wire from harness

3. Remove rubber seal around metal body

4. remove rust and treat metal.

5. paint metallic silver

To refresh bulb socket, push the wire through from back then clean the centre contact.  Push back in then clean sides with wire wheel or abrasive.

I scrubbed mine with a scotch-brite pad and sprayed them with a shiny silver/chrome rattle can paint. Cover the socket first, of course. That rubber seal around it will come off if you're careful. While you're at it, it's a good time to clean the pigtail/connector on those and maybe polish the plastic reflector before reinstalling it.

edit: Ha, you just beat me to it, Blue ;)

Edited by jeremy93ls