IGNORED

Refurbish, Sell-As-Is, or Part Out

hansmeister

I am new to this forum, and desire to get the collective wisdom from the group.  This is my 4th ZX.

I purchased a 1980ZX Annv. Edition back in 1993, my number is 577.   I started to proceed with a limited refurbishment in 1997, but work commitments, and cash flow stalled my progress.

Now I have sufficient funds to finish the job. But a good friend advised that I could easily be underwater as the job progresses due to unforeseen circumstances, thus leading to the question.

Current status:

On jacks in the side yard. Engine at the long block level sitting in the garage and preserved. Transmission was previously worked on, and is good. Differential needs overhaul/replacement with a serviceable unit.  No marks on the body, but the paint is obviously bad. There was some rust at the roof/windshield line which I mitigated chemically and treated with aircraft zinc-chromate.  I have been busy purchasing new/re-manufactured/rebuilt/serviceable parts.  Meanwhile, have been bead-blasting and painting parts.  It will need a complete exterior paint and new interior. The car has been sitting the side yard for 10 years

I have made contact with a known 280ZX expert/mechanic to put it back together again. I am next in line.

I have estimates for the assembly work, complete 1st class paint, and a complete new interior.  I also have been to Hemmings.com and have an idea what it would be worth when completed.  I do not have any idea of its worth as-is, or what it is worth parted out.  I do have the new gold hood medallion purchased in 1997, which is now unobtainable.

My desire is to return the car to its original glory, but with caution and knowledge.

I would like to hear from others in the group.