IGNORED

Replacement 280z Steering Pinion Bearing?

Real638

Has anyone had recent success finding suitable replacements for '78 steering pinion bearings?  Prior forum entries on this topic discuss replacing the obsolete Nissan bearing with one that is 1MM thinner & using a spacer to fill the gap. No problem. However I have been unable to find an angular contact bearing with the correct ID and OD, much less sealed on one side like the original. Thanks.

Yes I have successfully done this.  The bearing is quite easy to find from multiple sources. I purchased mine from VXB bearings for about $20.  It's an angular contact bearing with the correct ID and OD but it is 1mm thinner than the original.  You can find it here:

http://www.vxb.com/2-Angular-Contact-Bearing-7202B-15x35x11-p/kit1086.htm

It is not sealed on one side but this replacement seemed to do the job without issue.

You will need to source some shims to make up the 1mm difference.  I actually used L6 valve spring seats / shims which were the proper OD and hardened and so they did the trick.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. I'm pretty sure I read your write-up on this subject. I've looked at VXB bearings & my concern is the lack of a seal. I can't imagine grease will stay in the upper bearing long without one, &  it's what keeps crud out of the lower. I have a pretty good extra pinion/bearing & may just put it back together with that & hope for the best. Terry S.