IGNORED

4.0L in a 240Z?

kmack

An interesting idea popped into my head yesterday while driving my company's Jeep Cherokee around. It has the 4.0L High Output straight six with a standard and is very easy to get a second gear scratch out it.

Now I figure if it has that much power in such a heavy vehicle, what would it be like in a 2300 lb Z? Since the engine is an inline six, there shouldn't be any major mods other than the mounts and working up some way to attach the trans. Or could you use the Jeep 5 speed? Has anybody done this or heard of it being done?

Just a real quick reason why I'm thinking about this. Last weekend I went to a Porsche Club of America race (PCA) down in South Texas. My Z would fall under the 6 cyl. class - XC3. The only cars that were running in that class were a Turbo MR2, BMW M Roadster, and a Lotus Esprit. The Lotus was very slow, the BMW didn't seem all that fast (could have been the driver), but the MR2 was pretty quick. Now 4.0L of power with lots of torque on a short 2.1 mile course should bump the MR2 out of contention.

Just some idle rambling thoughts...

• 2 months later...

My father used to have one of those trucks. They have lots of torque, but not much high end horsepower and they dont' rev up very quick. The ignition and fuel management system is all electronic. I suppose you should change it over to some carbs for simplicity but you would really want to find a different cam. You might need to get a custom grind.

The Jeep's 5-speed should be used.

• 2 months later...

why does everyone insist that they dont rev up fast? I drove a jeep pickup with a five speed and a 4.0l and it reved up nearly as fast as my z does, or at least is seemed like it. Im sure it would rev up a lot faster with a lightweight flywheel on it. I thought about it but the tranny went out in the truck and a five speed for that motor is kinda rare and hard to find for a good price.