IGNORED

Improving Dash Lights Tip

ramsesosirus

FYI

Not too long ago I installed white gauge face overlays and some blue incandescent bulbs in my dash. (76 280z).  The gauges turned out great, but the lights were still dim, and didn't have as much of a blue tint as I wanted.  I don't want to do the bulbs again, since it is a time consuming job.  I'm ready to drive it!

I found these at the local parts store, others may have them.

Plugs into your cig. lighter and has 4 bright blue LEDs that have 3M mounting tape on the bottom.  As long as you clean the mounting surface (degrease), they stick great and light up very brightly.   The clock isn't lit, since there are only 4, but my clock doesn't work anyway.

I then turn the dimmer way down or off, I don't need it with these.  About $16.

You can play around with the mounting angle to reduce glare:  I put the speedo and tach ones on the angled lip in the bottom center, and on the left side for the temp and batt gauges to light them evenly.

Just a tip for anyone who wants a quick and inexpensive temp (or permanent) fix to the dim gauges. 

HTH

blue led.jpg

Edited by ramsesosirus

• 1 year later...