Piston ring size - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Piston ring size

Featured Replies

Hi all,

I am currently upgrading my engine.  Port/polish, bore 83.75, stage 2 cam, racing springs, lifters, lash pads, kameri sprocket etc.

My pistons rings are 4mm x 2mm x 2mm.  I ordered the Perfect Circle ring kit that was available for the Silvolite pistons.  The rings when I measured them were 4 x 1.5mm x 1.5mm.    According to the tech from P. C.  this 0.5 mm variance was a designed to accommodate additional expansion properties and is not an issue.

Anyone familiar or have any idea if this is correct.  Or should I opt for a ring that is 2mm.

 

Thanks

Lon  

The rings should fit the groove in the piston, so 1.5mm could be right if the groove is 1.5mm.  There's a spec. for side clearance.  Too big and the ring will get slammed up and down as the piston moves.  

 

ring side clearance.PNG

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.