IGNORED

Under Battery Tray Sections Reproduction

heyitsrama

Is there any kind of protective coating that works below the battery to prevent corrosion in the first place? Seems like excessive washing would distribute more water and acid in a vulnerable area.

Yeah battery acid mixed with water is H2SO4 + H2O <-> H3O+ + HSO4

Sulfuric Acid is really low on the pH scale (acidic) while the Hydronium formed from the reaction is almost as low.

So basically you are pushing around acids all over the engine bay. Most likely you are going to be pushing around large amounts of water the engine bay, this should disperse the acids around, and hopefully off the paint. 

But the best thing would be to neutralize the acid off the battery top, with Baking Soda (NaHCO3) + H2O <-> Na+ OH- + H2O + CO2 

which should neutralize the acid, and address the Hydronium ions by producing more H2O. then giving it a good wash to remove all the neutralized crap outta the bay.

I mean at least that works in my head. 'll take it up with my Chemistry Professor, good thing one of the summer courses that Im taking is Chemistry  LOL

One alternative thing i can think of is using a Phenolic resin around the battery trays and frame rails. I have a brake piston for my Honda CB500 that is made out of it, its ultra light, as well as being resistant to corrosion from Ethyl-Glycol chains (brake-fluid), but being that OEM pistons are made from Stainless Steel, and the Caliper is aluminum there is going to be a reaction between those metals anyway. 

Speaking of phenolic stuff, our chemistry lab's counter tops might also be made outta this, ill have to look into it on monday. maybe I can figure out where to get some of this phenolic resin....... or make some  B)

man i thought chemistry was boring until now. 

Be careful welding on the firewall. It is easy to get it hot and catch stuff on fire on the inside of the car. Ask me how I know... :o

Yeah when I was cutting out one from a totaled car i saw the smoke and got concerned.. hahahaha

After I removed the rust and patched a hole under my battery tray I primed the metal, then used Duplicolor (IIRC) Bed Armor bedliner. Then I painted over it with silver. These photos are from my build thread. It may not be the prettiest, but I believe it's effective. And it's all invisible under the battery tray as well.

Looks like its going to last a long time. Did you use anything for the neutralization of the rust? I think the oxidization will stop when its all covered up, but am not 100% sure. I assume you will be relocating the battery now?