IGNORED

Here's a little something for all you F1 fans....and Carl S.

go z racer, go

Here's a little something for all you F1 fans....and Carl S.

With exception to the top three grid positions the line up has a new look. Largely due in part (in my humble opinion) to the new rules concerning "qualifying cars," or the lack thereof. Ferrari must have a three stop game plan as they were over a full second ahead of third place, JPM. Also, if not for a crippled McLaren (Kimi) in his way, I believe Rubens would have easily beaten Schuey's time. After all, it was Ruben's setup that, a then struggling, Shuey adopted at the last possible moment. Man is it just me, or does it seem like Rubens fights twice as hard for less? The Man has heart.

DaMatta, your teammate claimed 5th.....what happened?

1._M.SCHUMACHER_ Ferrari___1'27"173_

2._BARRICHELLO__ Ferrari____1'27"418___

3._MONTOYA____Williams BMW___1'28"101___

4. FRENTZEN____Sauber Petronas___1'28"274___

5. PANIS____Toyota______1'28"288___

6. VILLENEUVE___ BAR Honda___1'28"420___

7._HEIDFELD____Sauber Petronas___1'28"464___

8. BUTTON____BAR Honda___1'28"682___

9._R.SCHUMACHER_ Williams BMW___1'28"830___

10. ALONSO___ Renault____1'28"928___

11._COULTHARD____McLaren Mercedes___1'29"105___

12._TRULLI____Renault____1'29"136___

13. FISICHELLA___ Jordan Ford___1'29"344___

14. WEBBER___Jaguar Cosworth____1'29"367___

15._RAIKKONEN____ McLaren Mercedes___ 1'29"470___

16. DA MATTA____Toyota_____1'29"538___

17. FIRMAN____Jordan Ford____1'31"242___

18. PIZZONIA_____Jaguar Cosworth____1'31"723___

19. VERSTAPPEN___ Minardi Cosworth___ No Time

20. WILSON_____Minardi Cosworth___ No Time

post-1703-14150792497214_thumb.jpg

Hi Jerry:

I wached the F1 qualifying show and I like the new format. Geez, Kimi had a bit of a scare on his qual lap, huh? Ruebens, also with catching up the McLaren. Good to see that Michael gave credit to Ruebens for the set-up which gave him him the opportunity to get Pole Position. Looks like Button is keeping Villenueve working hard to maintain #1 driver status.

Should be an exciting race, as it seems obvious that different teams will be on different fuel stop strategies. What the heck was Minardi thinking with both drivers not even completing a Qual lap?

I can't wait to get off work tomorrow and fly home to catch the start of the race!

Regards,

Carl

Hey guys,

Man I went along for qualifying today...and it was mad fun!! Too be honest thought the biggest drawcard for the day was beauty of a Fairlady 2000 that I saw in the Shannons Classic car area!! I got a couple of piccies, but my camera software is a bit forked now, so I'll post them ASAP...shame you guys over in the USA don't get classy racing like this!!! Gotta say it, rally is my fave, but F1...nothing comes close (and that includes indycar!!!)..

Take care ppl!

Cheers!

Carl S.----

What the heck was Minardi thinking with both drivers not even completing a Qual lap?

I think Minardi either:

a.) knew they were destined to for "back row," so why even bother trying to push real hard on unreliable equipment that was yet "dialed-in."

b.) they were not confident with their practice times, hence they feared elimination by virtue of the "best-to-last" time window minimum.

Just my hunch Carl.---Jerry

Hi Jerry:

I don't know either. SpeedTV was saying that the 107% rule was eliminated for this year so they were assured of having a starting spot since the contracts with the promoters require a field of 20 cars and only 20 cars showed up for the race. They speculated that they didi the qual runs withmore fuel than other teams and would try for a one stop strategy, but only time will tell on that one. I doubt it would work out for them as they would be dead slow in the opening laps and would have a huge deficit to overcome.

Yeee HAA, Here we go F1 is back!!

Minardi surprised the Formula 1 fraternity by instigating a deliberate strategic ploy during final qualifying to avoid its cars being placed in parc fermé overnight along with the rest of the field. Instead of completing their qualifying laps, Justin Wilson and Jos Verstappen simply pulled into the pits at the end of their flying laps without registering a time.

Team boss Paul Stoddart explained afterward that he had checked the strategy out with the sport's governing body and that there was nothing in the new rules preventing such an action.

This means that Wilson and Verstappen will be forced to start tomorrow's race from the pit lane, but also means that the team was able to continue to work on its cars overnight. “This allows the team's mechanics to give us our best possible opportunity to finish the race, but perhaps most importantly, to allow us the latest possible opportunity of assessing the likely race conditions, and thus planning our strategy accordingly.”

Hey Carl S.--Wow, I just read your most resent post regarding Minardi's "questionable" actions during yesterdays qualifying event. Thanks for clearing that up. I confess, it had me going in circles for a while. Very interesting indeed!

A clever move, not unlike those performed in the past by Ross B. Man you have to wonder what Stodard (spelling) could "really" do if only for a budget. I wish him well in front of his fellow country men today.

Well, I'm settling in for a much anticipated season opener with my fingers crossed for Rubens today and Schuey at seasons end. Though, should it rain, Ferrari drivers should have no problems as they both possess great skills in weather. Having said that, my pick, should weather become a factor, would then go to Schuey..---Jerry

Hi Jerry;

Yeah, I found that info on the SpeedTV website.

I'm leaving work in about 15 minutes to rush home for the start.

I'll be rooting for a battle between Rubens and JP Montoya. That could be a grand spectacle in the wet! (if that comes to be). They are both hungry for a win.

Here we go!

carl

Just got through watching the live F1 "shocker" down-under. Wow, great race, best one I've seen in years. It was good to see David on the podium again. Montoya's post race whining wasn't surprising either. Not exactly what the BMW Public Relations had in mind for their multi million dollar investment. I followed his F3000 career, I have yet to see this most talented-cocky boy develop any maturity.

What a shot in the arm for everyone. Opportunity was there for all on virtually every lap. Just ask David. However, this was an enormous "first day." Teams will be scrutinizing every tic-toc second of this day. I can't see a reason why round two would be any less exciting.

While I understand it's far too early to make predictions, thus far, the controversy concerning the all the "new" rules, and their effects on F1, has Bernie looking quite brilliant. Time will tell.---Jerry

*****Carl, I trust you made it home in time from work!

Originally posted by go z racer, go

*****Carl, I trust you made it home in time from work!

Yeah, I got home in time. It was a good race, huh? Montoya did whine a bit, kinda silly since he basically tossed is chance of winning out the window when he spun by himself. The Safety cars really didn't make much difference. Kimi is the one who really got hosed, with the drive through for "speeding" on pit lane. I wonder how much he was speeding. The kid can't seem to buy a break. It was a bit surprising to see Ferrari miss the podium for the first time since '99. Mark Webber was going great until his suspension fialure. I think he was up to 9th or 10th from his last place starting position (except for the ones who started from pit lane). He may have been on really light tanks, but he was moving through the field. They can't say that there wasn't any passing in this race! Gonna try to stay up and watch the tape again tonight.

See ya later!

carl

I agree with you guys. That was the best race in a while. I think the last time it was this exciting was back in France a couple of years ago when it was raining. The new qualifying will take a bit getting used to but it definately alters the starting field. I was really impressed by Kimi's driving he came from 14th to finish 3rd. With a penalty! He did remind me of Hakinen at the press conferance. No emotion and you can barely understand him.ROFL