IGNORED

Tow a 240Z 800 miles with a car cover on?

Mikes Z car

Has anyone towed a 240Z for 800 miles with a car cover on it? I like to keep my car out of the sun when I can though I know that a car cover flapping in the wind can wear off paint. I do have a very soft cover that I could attach with strong spring clips at the wheel wells.

Wind will do bad things to a car cover unless it's a brand new, top of the line, like gold series from BD. My experience is only about 30 mph wind speed in a winter storm. 65 mph is almost hurricane force, although it would be a little less from being behind the towing vehicle.

I guestimate a good cover would last about a hundred miles at highway speed if it was carefully attached, maybe more. My current 4 year old cover would be ripped to shreds in about five minutes.

I think I will abandon the car cover idea. Thanks for the ideas. I have a car I keep covered (not the Z) and the wind started wearing off the paint so I got those large spring clips to hold the cover tightly on at the wheel wells and both bumpers which probably helps with minimizing paint wear but it looks like that would not work for towing.

Edited by Mikes Z car

I would not tow with a car cover on. Even a soft cover would possibly abrade the paint.

If you are worried about sun on the interior, just tape tin foil on the inside of the windows with removable blue or green masking tape. Additional thought.. No tape on defroster lines in rear window!

800 miles = 2 or 3 days travel, which is not a problem in terms of paint fade, (unless you are driving on the surface of Venus).

To minimize exterior rock chips, you have a couple options, 1) as stated above, masking tape, or 2) 3M Paint Defender spray-on film.

Edited by Oiluj

I was at a Ferrari show a couple years ago and spoke with the driver of an ENCLOSED transport truck (you could eat off the floor of this thing). The driver said she tells clients to never use a cover when transporting due to abrasion-apparently there is enough wind even inside the trailer. Whenever they insist on it she has them sign a waiver that the company will not be liable for any paint damage.