IGNORED

Source for the Correct bodyside Moulding

TomoHawk

Higuys,

On my 1978 coupe,

I need to replace the front sections of the bodyside mouldings on my vehicle, and I would like to know if you can get new material that is the same, or would it be fine to go with something that is period-correct.

lease keep in mind that only the front pieces are attached with double-sided tape, and the sections on the doors and sail panels are attached with rivets, and I will not be replacing the latter for a few years, probably.

In any case, where can you get that stuff? I haven't seen that stuff since the 80s or early 90s.

Tomo, there is no one supplier for this stuff. The stuff was dealer installed, and just like custom wheels, different dealers used different suppliers. Finding the exact match for what you have on the car will be a bit of a needle/haystack proposition, and that's assuming that your particular style of needle is still in production at all. It's just going to be a matter of searching out the current available sources and see if they match yours.

Good luck.

Automega (see link in djwarner's post above), is where I got my molding. It's the exact same "rivet-on" aluminum & vinyl installed by most dealerships in the early 70's.

Vinyl insert is available in multiple colors, though "back in the day", I only ever saw black.

• 2 months later...

Because the exact mouldings couldn't be commonly found, the insurance company instructed the body shop to remove ALL the mouldings and put on new ones. They drilled out the rivets or something like that, so I hope I won't see little bubbles under the paint one day. The new ones look nice and don't stick out that far, so it looks nice.