IGNORED

Buying a 240k any advice?

24OK

Hey guys I'm new here, going to look at a 240k 2 door on the weekend, Its a country car and has never seen the coast but has been sitting in weather for 20 years! She assures me its only surface rust on the body, I'm just wanting to know are there any problem areas for rust where i should be checking other than the usual? It's complete and is only a 2 owner car purchased new from Alice springs. Cheers guys

Not the car from Inglewood is it?

Good guess! yeah thats it. It seemed like a good base from the photo's and I'm not too worried about the running gear I've got something planned for her

All along the bottom of the panels (guards, sills, quarters, bottom of doors and the wheel well) go, along with the rear beaver panel. Also check around the windscreens as that gets bad also where it seals. The rest is basically standard to japanese cars (ie panel joints, where the water sits)

20 years in the weather wont be fun, so check the floor pans under the carpet!

And take lots of photos for the rest of us to look at.

This the early 240k GT??? if it's a GT then leave her stock! rare bird....but it's up to you.

A mob in Sydney called Automotive Panel Craft may be getting their hands on a Hardtop K as early as this week, and they are planning on making new rust repair sections to sell, if this helps your planning.

but most importantly, PHOTOS?!?!?!??!

It won't just be surface rust. It will be in the sills, gutters, roof, bonnet, boot, under the carpets in the tub, in the bottom of the doors.

Spare parts cost a fortune and are limited.

Be prepared to learn how to weld/panelbeat unless you have deep pockets.

Have deep pockets to buy all the tooling to weld & panelbeat.

...have deep pockets.

It won't just be surface rust. It will be in the sills, gutters, roof, bonnet, boot, under the carpets in the tub, in the bottom of the doors.

Spare parts cost a fortune and are limited.

Be prepared to learn how to weld/panelbeat unless you have deep pockets.

Have deep pockets to buy all the tooling to weld & panelbeat.

...have deep pockets.

I've been buying tools already, have a Sand Blasting cabinet, fresh TIG Welder and brand new spanners/ sockets:cool:

This is my Daily that I restored (Corolla) I have a pretty good idea on what to expect from reading up your projects on here.

20131120_180234_zps77e7f281.jpg

All along the bottom of the panels (guards, sills, quarters, bottom of doors and the wheel well) go, along with the rear beaver panel. Also check around the windscreens as that gets bad also where it seals. The rest is basically standard to japanese cars (ie panel joints, where the water sits)

20 years in the weather wont be fun, so check the floor pans under the carpet!

And take lots of photos for the rest of us to look at.

This the early 240k GT??? if it's a GT then leave her stock! rare bird....but it's up to you.

A mob in Sydney called Automotive Panel Craft may be getting their hands on a Hardtop K as early as this week, and they are planning on making new rust repair sections to sell, if this helps your planning.

but most importantly, PHOTOS?!?!?!??!

I was a bit worried about sourcing sections, i should be able to get by if its not too rusted but its good to know cheers, check the builds section tomorrow night ill take a few pics of her when i pick her up will be rushing home to start cleaning like crazy LOL

Yeah if its not a GT I've been niggling at the idea of a Triple carburettor'd RB26!! Would be a modernised GTR

A warning to anyone else who gets sucked into looking at this car. It is utterly F***** . It WAS a GT now its a pile of scrap. Bloody got lied to about its condition over the phone. Spewin was pretty keen on one