IGNORED

Help with radio installation please

Coastalman

I am trying to change out the old cassette radio in my 1972 Z. My Haynes manual is a bit unclear about that area of the car. I have taken the shift console out and removed the screws holding the big rectangle plate that holds the air/heat controls and the opening for the radio. The aftermarket radio that is now in that area will not slide out the radio opening, it is just a fraction too big. I have that panel loose, but can not see how to get it free enough to work on getting the radio out. The air controls seem to be attached to the panel from inside the dash, but I can not figure out how to get it free. Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie

Did you check to see if the radio is attached to the bracing under the dash by a metal strap at the back of the radio? To pull the heat/vent control panel you'll need to disconnect the wires that go to the various vents and heater. It helps to have agility and small hands.

Dennis