IGNORED

another fuel system question

bart

I am in the process of replacing the fuel hoses on my z and have found that trying to get at the hoses that come from the tank to the metal fuel tubing that runs the lenghth of the car is hard to get at. I do not have a lift so I have to do my work on my back with the car on blocks. I sort of doubt that dropping the fuel tank would ease this job, but maybe it would, I don't know, why I am asking here. So anyone one with any advice for this 240Z newbie? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Bart

Before you do anything in or around the gas tank, pull the drain plug and drain as much of the gas out that you can. Then when you pull the lines, it'll be less likely to spill gas all over you.

Also, after you loosen up the line clamps, take a paif of pliers and rotate the rubber line a bit while still in place. This will help break loose the connection and make it easier to pull the rubber line off. Less stressfull this way. And lay directly underneath the connection just in case some gas does spill out. You do not want gas to get into your eye! Trust me, it hurts really bad.

If you have access to compressed air its a great time time blast it thru the metal line in each direction.Of course you dont want anything connected at the tank or filter end.That can remove rust scale that is in that line.Draining the tank is a good idea,but be careful.If you happen to have a gas water heater in your garage,find another location.The pilot light can ignite the fumes.I have a friend that found that out the hard way when we were kids.

Originally posted by bart

I am in the process of replacing the fuel hoses on my z and have found that trying to get at the hoses that come from the tank to the metal fuel tubing that runs the lenghth of the car is hard to get at. I do not have a lift so I have to do my work on my back with the car on blocks. I sort of doubt that dropping the fuel tank would ease this job, but maybe it would, I don't know, why I am asking here. So anyone one with any advice for this 240Z newbie? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Bart

Bart:

If you are talking about the connections at the front of the gas tank, (in other words the connections near the fuel tank/guage sender unit) the ones that go to the front of the car for the fuel pump and carburetors; NO, dropping the fuel tank will not help much, but you really should not have any problem getting to these connections. It is a little tight there, but not bad at all.

kmacks advice about loosening the (any) hoses with a pliers before trying to remove them is really good advice.

On the other hand if you are talking about the fuel VENT hoses, (the ones that are about 5/8" or a bit larger in diameter, then lowering the fuel tank WILL help, but you need to drain the tank as completely as possible before doing so. It also helps to get the car up on blocks as high as you can, so that you can be directly below the tank as you loosen the tank straps in order to support the tank and gently lower it to the ground. I support it with my knees, and then lower it to my chest, then I slip out from under it (to the side).