fuel(?) vent hoses inside the car, behind tail light panel?? - Page 2 - Interior - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

fuel(?) vent hoses inside the car, behind tail light panel??

Featured Replies

You have to remove the plastic panel (via the plastic rivets) to get to the vapor recovery tank.

Sorry to get off topic here, but in post #3 the diagram shows both an electric and a mechanical fuel pump. The '73 I just bought has both, whereas my other '73 (with a later mfg. date) only has one up front (originally mechanical but now electric. What is the purpose of two pumps? I'd rather ditch the rear one if possible.

Edited by tlorber

Sorry to get off topic here, but in post #3 the diagram shows both an electric and a mechanical fuel pump. The '73 I just bought has both, whereas my other '73 (with a later mfg. date) only has one up front (originally mechanical but now electric. What is the purpose of two pumps? I'd rather ditch the rear one if possible.

Post #3 is for a 1974 260Z, which is why it has the dual fuel pumps diagrammed out in the factory service manual.

Post #2 is for a 1973 240Z (I had it on hand quicker cause I have one!) and those quite often had the electric fuel pump added in by the dealer to help with vapor lock and percolation issues with the newer flat top emissions carburetors.

Here's the original documentation on what's involved in the '73 fuel pump retrofit:

http://www.xenons30.com/files/1973%20240z%201974%20260z%20fuel%20system%20modifications.pdf

Funfact: On my car the electric fuel pump was installed, but the matching relays in the cabin didn't exist, so the fuel pump never even ran in the first place!

Just got finished replacing all the vent hoses in my '72. Looking forward to driving more and smelling fuel less

Two of the vapor hoses are still avalible from Nissan - the fuel tank filler hose is still out there also. The other ones are fuel rated hoses. The rubbers grommets are still out there also - PM me if you need more info. I pulled my vapor tank - fuel tank. Replaced all the hoses - POR15'd everything. I had my rear suspension out so everything got refreshed over the winter. Also cleaned the ground and connections for my fuel tank sender. Looking forward to firing her up to see how much of the cabin fuel smell is gone. Also going to 1 click hotter plug to help as well on my Mikuni's.

post-14147-14150827992635_thumb.jpg

post-14147-14150827993599_thumb.jpg

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Thanks for the info on both the fuel pump and the hoses guys. At first pass, when I put this back together I'm going to try and bypass the electric pump-especially since the car has '72 carbs on it.

Back in the late 70's I had a '73 that the rear electric pump went out - I bypassed it and used only the mechanical pump - no problems at all at that time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.