IGNORED

AC kit for 1972 Datsun 240Z to use with original indash controls in panel

jalexquijano

I went with the vintage air Gen II in-dash system. It works fine for our SF Bay area summers, (85-95 degrees F). __Others have posted it works fine for summertime in the Southwest.

Just buy the complete package and you get everything you need. You can even get the tools to fabricate your own hoses.

In terms of the controls modifications, I just sort of "cobbled-it-together" as I went along. I'm looking thru my files for better photos you can use for guidance.

I went with the vintage air Gen II in-dash system. It works fine for our SF Bay area summers, (85-95 degrees F). __Others have posted it works fine for summertime in the Southwest.

Just buy the complete package a4nd you get everything you need. You can even get the tools to fabricate your own hoses.

In terms of the controls modifications, I just sort of "cobbled-it-together" as I went along. I'm looking thru my files for better photos you can use for guidance.

Thanks for your great advice and support. There are 3 different models: Vintage Air Gen II Super, Mini and Compac. WHich of these 3 models should i purchase:

http://www.vintageair.com/flipbook/

For your ready reference you may find them in page 45 and 46 of the catalogue.

My car is a 1972 240z, manual 5 speed transmission, 2.4 L just as yours. I have seen other kits in the internet but just want to be sure i choose the correct model that i can adapt to the heater control panel just as you did. It is important that the ac kit really cools the vehicle, does not take much horsepower away from the engine and its components do not fall down the passengers glove box.

Awaiting for your reply. The temperature in Panama is 31 degrees Celsius with 62 per cent of humidity.

Greetings,

Jorge

Jorge,

I installed the "Gen II Mini" unit, their smallest unit. It's only 1.5" shorter and 1/2" less deep than the more powerful "Gen II Compact". The Gen II Compact would be a tight fit, but might be work. You can order/rent a mock-up" unit from Vintage Air to verify the fit.

Vintage Air now has a nice control panel that would retro-fit into the center control panel that was not available when I did my installation. It would require cutting a hole in the stock control

I'm gathering up photos of my A/C install to put together a photo-essay of how I did installed my system, If I have a good enough package, I'll post it in the next two weeks.

Happy 2014!

Julio

Jorge,

I installed the "Gen II Mini" unit, their smallest unit. It's only 1.5" shorter and 1/2" less deep than the more powerful "Gen II Compact". The Gen II Compact would be a tight fit, but might be work. You can order/rent a mock-up" unit from Vintage Air to verify the fit.

Vintage Air now has a nice control panel that would retro-fit into the center control panel that was not available when I did my installation. It would require cutting a hole in the stock control

I'm gathering up photos of my A/C install to put together a photo-essay of how I did installed my system, If I have a good enough package, I'll post it in the next two weeks.

Happy 2014!

Julio

THanks Julio. Does this model really cools the car? Please be advised the temperature here is 31 degrees Celsius with 62 per cent of humidity.

What parts will i need besides of the evaporator?

THanks Julio. Does this model really cools the car? Please be advised the temperature here is 31 degrees Celsius with 62 per cent of humidity.

What parts will i need besides of the evaporator?

Jorge,

At the very minimum you will need:

• Evaporator

• Controls Module

• Condenser

• Drier

• A/C Compressor

• Compressor Mount. (purchased / fabricated)

• Compressor Belt, (and maybe a pully wheel for the belt).

• Hoses & Fittings

• Safety Switch

• Misc. Mounting Brackets / Fasteners (these will be custom fabricated)

I suggest you go to the Vintage Air site and look at their “Basics of Air Conditioning” link. It will make things much clearer.

Jorge,

• Evaporator

• Controls Module

• Condenser

• Drier

• A/C Compressor

• Hoses & Fittings

• Safety Switch

I suggest you go to the Vintage Air site and look at their “Basics of Air Conditioning” link. It will make things much clearer.

I just contacted Dreamers Rods & Pickups N.W. - The Source for Chevy and Ford Restoration and Performance Parts. which is a company that carries this evaporator and they have asked me the following questions:

What finish compressor would i like? V-belt or serpentine?

Billet aluminium control or just an ABS plastic pod?

Rubber A7C lines or stainless braided and plastic vents or billet?

WHy all these questions? Isnt there a company that sells a straight forward kit? So much hassle to purchase this kit online?

Jorge,

• Evaporator

• Controls Module

• Condenser

• Drier

• A/C Compressor

• Hoses & Fittings

• Safety Switch

Julio,

Thanks for all your great help and guidance on setting up the AC Conditioner on my 1972 Datsun 240z.

Please be advised that based to the fact that i can get a Sander 508 rotary compressor at US$120 and some other parts in Panama, Central America which is where i will have the car in a couple of weeks, i have limited my purchase to the following parts:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/vta-66005-vuz-a/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/vta-49110-shq/overview/

Do you really think it is necessary to purchase a Condenser and Drier selled by this company as part of the Vintage Air Gen II mini kit? Or i can use universal parts that i can get here in Panama to really cool the 240z?

Edited by jalexquijano

The work and fabrication will be done by the shop that installs the AC KIT here in Panama, Central America where the temperature is 36 degrees Celsius. I just want a kit that can accept an indash modification without altering the original look and cool the car enough.

Dang I was just in Panama before Christmas looking for Z folks and parts. I'll definitely look you up next time and hopefully take a spin in a Z with AC!

• 2 weeks later...
If you set it up like I did mine, get the "fan mode" switch. It just controls fan on / fan speed

I have purchased the following parts in Summit racing and would like to know what parts of the heater control panel will be compatible with them:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/vta-49110-shq/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/vta-11458-vus/overview/

I will be really pleased if you can guide me step by step on the adaptation to the panel. I would not like to damaged the plastic panel of the car.