IGNORED

exaust manifold comming off....

New_BE

Ok at the end of summer just befroei put my baby aways, there was an exaust leak right at the engine. put your hand there and u can feel the blow comming out. So I called somewhere and they said "there is no gasket" that goes between the head where the exxaust comes out and where the manifold meets the head. Well some one on here told me that there is a gasket. So when i get one, should i be going from underneath the car to take the manifold off? I am pretty clueless on how to adjust the carbs so don't want to mess with those much, maye i'll learn how to do that stuff this summer. Anyways how to i go about gettign at the exaust area? jack it up and go. or do i have to remove the intake manifold? Thanks. everyone

Who ever told you that there was no gasket lied. There is a gasket. It covers the intake and exhaust manifold where it meets the head. Unfortunately there is no easy way to do it. You have to remove both the intake and exhaust manifolds to get to it. Some bolts you can get to from above some from below. You should be able to take the Intake manifold off with the carbs as one piece. After you get it all off make sure you replace the studs (these become brittle with age). If everything goes well it should take you only about 5-6 hours.

thanks alot...5-6hours? wow that sounds really long time to do that, i think it could be done in less time...but i'm not going to rush it, cause that will leave me with problems most likely.

One more QUESTION about it. Are there any bolts that i should watch out for that might snap off? I'm assuming that it'd be a better idea for me to but some liquid wrench or some other stuff to loosen the bolts. Well thanks again. Would a nissan place be able to adjust the carbs properly? Or any other type of dealers? I havn't seen too many z's up in these parts.

On a car that is approximately 30 years old, almost any bolt or stud could snap off. Especially thermostat housing, or intake/exhaust manifold bolts/studs. Soak any bolt or stud that you will need to loosen with your favorite penetrating oil before starting the project.

Regarding the carbs, most dealers will not be knowledgable about SU carburetors, they won't have much if any experience with them. Better to find a local auto shop that specializes in Sports cars, or classic cars. Take your time, and BE CARFUL!