IGNORED

73 exhaust manifold question

gtom

Hello 240Z community,

I would like to install a new MSA premium exhaust system (code:15-6302) onto my 73 with stock exhaust manifold. The MSA product description lists "70-72, 74 240Z-260Z (For Stock Manifold)". I called MSA and asked if this system will work with my 73 stock exhaust manifold and they did not know or were not sure.

Question:

1. Has anybody installed this MSA system onto their 73 with stock exhaust manifold and does it fit correctly?

2. Aside from the smog fittings, is the 73 stock exhaust manifold identical to the earlier types?

3. When MSA refers to 74 240Z-260Z, does this reference also include the 73 240Z?

Thanks much in advance,

gtom

I have this exhaust on my 73 with the stock manifold, but that year uses a different "y" pipe than the earlier models. MSA no longer carries that part because it is unique to 1973. I'm still using the original, but it's near the end of its service life.

I, and others on this forum, have found that this exhaust is very loud. A common remedy is install a "bullet" style resonator in the transmission tunnel. I used a stainless 12" unit from Summit Racing and it made a huge difference.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Ok, that explains it then. So, I guess I might as well go with a new MSA header in this case, unless somebody has a good stock early exhaust manifold that I can get locally.

Thanks for the info!