Front differential mount crossbar - one stripped bolt hole - Page 2 - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Front differential mount crossbar - one stripped bolt hole

Featured Replies

  • Author
A magnetic level makes it much easier to drill things straight.

Thanks John, ordered a kit from Torrance last night, should get here tomorrow. I watched their youtube vids and it does look pretty straight forward.

I did the exact same thing on one of those bolts. I walked over to the tool box got a 1/2 fine thread tap and an appropriate drill bit and retapped the hole. I have found that the metal in my 74 varies from soft to extremely hard. bolts all seem to be very soft, but I cut a hole in the hood for some aero catch latches, DANG! That metal was tough!

  • Author
I did the exact same thing on one of those bolts. I walked over to the tool box got a 1/2 fine thread tap and an appropriate drill bit and retapped the hole. I have found that the metal in my 74 varies from soft to extremely hard. bolts all seem to be very soft, but I cut a hole in the hood for some aero catch latches, DANG! That metal was tough!

Yeah I had to use a drive extension on the tap wrench for leverage, but got it done.

Update: The timesert kit worked perfectly! thanks again to John C. for the suggestion.

I put some red loctite on the outer part of the insert (probably not necessary) to make it ultra permanent. Only problem I encountered was the threaded hole itself being somewhat short, the insert did not seat fully to the counter sunken hole. So I just drilled out a ~1/8" on the diff mount bar, using the same timesert countersink tool, allowing the mount to seat flush to the body. Torqued to spec nicely.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.