IGNORED

need info on V8 swap

Znut73

i posted a thread on broken head bolts got alot of good replys tryed all of them dont get me wrong i was very happy that i got fast good replys but none of them worked sad to say i am at my wits end so frustrated!!!!!!!!!! so would it be easyer to just drop a small block in to My 73z i have done some research and it is going to add alot of weight i know my Z is not one of the lightest but it is one of those wicked 240's what should i do? if droping a small block is the way to go what do i need to do thanks for being there Zclub

• 1 month later...

Hey Znut; gasgasnis right ,a small block can be made to weigh about the same as the stock 6 cyl. A bone stock small block Chevy only weighs 150 lbs more than the stock motor, about a passenger weight. Mounted in the set- back position as per JTR[ Jags that run] the weight is spread nearly 50-50. You can spend a lot of coin to loose some weight or build up the small block or a combination. Think about what you want to do with the car, it'll help you decide. Drag racing, salalom, street/strip, etc.????? I am building a 72 Z with a 360HP/ 420torque small block Chevy and a modifed 700 R4 trans, should be a good cruiser?? Think. Plan, Do!!!!!

There's nothing like a small-block powered Z. I had a '73 that I sold to my dad.........a 338 cu. in. Chevy - about 325 hp. Plenty of power. My engine is a little farther forward than a JTR setup, still handles great. I installed Motorsport Auto springs and Tokico struts. They held the weight fine. I had cast iron heads and an alum. intake. The car also has a T-5 5 speed trans. I don't think an automatic could be as much fun! Good Luck!

Wow so you didnt have to mod. anything but better supension thats kind of what im gong for dont own a welder or a torch if you can let me know all you did to get it in the motor bay i would be greatfull thanks alot for the heads up

I bought the car already converted, but I took it all apart and re-did everything. It needed a rebuild, anyway...it blew a ring. It looked to have stock Chevy rubber/steel mounts and a block of steel with a hole to mate it to the Datsun motor mount base. It's tough to explain, but simple in design. There was no cutting or welding involved. There are some pics in my gallery. The guy who set the car up did a nice job. I would have used the JTR setup, though. Other mods included a modified transmission mount to mate the T-5 and it had a custom drive shaft, of course. The car also has the beffier R200 ZX differential and halfshafts...highly recommended. Use high quality universal joints, there's a lot of stress on them with all that tourque twisting through them. Talk to you later.

Znut; Me again, mounting the V-8 in the JTR position is the easiest and best way to go. The book from JTR gives you all the piecses needed to perform the swap, rad support, engine setback plates and trans mount. Just take the drawings to your machine shop and make 'em up. Ihad them made in stainless and billet aluminum, some are visible. Everything from electrial, clutch, rad sizing, exhaust, wiring etc is covered. With a resonable amount of mechanical skill and basic tools you can do this. I also upgraded the suspension with better shocks and springs, urethene bushings and bigger sway bars. The brakes get stainless lines and Toyota 4 piston calipers. I have not had to weld or cut anything. Think, Plan, DO!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks alot as soon as the book gets to me ill be on my to the machine shop. Thank you for all your help and if you have any more advice ill be sure to listen thanks again Zclub and all of its great members

Znut

• 9 months later...

I have a 350 in my 73. It only added 90 pounds to the overall weight of the car from start to finish. Of course the T-350 tranny does weigh more than the four speed I took out with the stock six. I am using one of the ZZ series Chevy crate motors and they come with aluminum heads and intake manifold. Motor and tranny mounts are a Johns Cars kit. They are located in the Dallas Tx area on Jaguar Drive ... and yes, they have kits for them (Jags) too. I like the kit as there was no problem with the hood latch. The car is quiet and looks stock too.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...