Removing the Emmissions stickers - Body & Paint - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Removing the Emmissions stickers

Featured Replies

I stripped all the undercoating from the underside of the bonnet, and found the two stickers. They don't seem to want to come off, so maybe someone has some tips to persuade a 40 year-old foil sticker to come off? Solvents aren't having any effect, and a metal blade will probably scratch what's underneath.

Sometimes heat works, maybe from a heat gun instead of a hair dryer. Mine is the wrong sticker for the car as the hood was replaced from a 260Z I believe.

  • Author

I wonder about using heat.... It's a Florida car and the sticker has been on there for all those years in the hot sun and the heat from the engine. It may now be welded or fused on there! ;)

I used a razor blade to pry up one corner and then pealed it off. The outside of mine had a plastic coating on it and a metallic paper under neath.

  • Author

Mine is just some kind of shiny foil thing. A sharp knife blade could hardly get under the corner, but I will look for a razor and try that.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

the new razor blade was able to get under the sticker so I could pull it off. Be careful not to dig into the paint, and watch out for those sharp corners.

One sticker came off in strips, and the other in one piece. Only the adhesive residue is left, and brake cleaner didn't do much to it, so I will have to try something stronger.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.