IGNORED

MSA 6-1 and Performance Exhaust Clearance

Robin

Hello,

I have a 280 motor installed into my 73 240z, using the 280 motor mount brackets. The problem is that the header collector end is not low enough to clear the tranny mount when attaching the exhaust pipe. Either I need to have more back down angle of the motor or the entire motor lowered to allow proper clearance. I'm not sure if the 240 motor brackets (that i have) will change the angle of the dangle to accommodate for good clearance. Any suggestions? Thanks

post-5458-1415082347746_thumb.jpg

post-5458-14150823477748_thumb.jpg

post-5458-14150823477944_thumb.jpg

post-5458-14150823478133_thumb.jpg

Robin,

I had the same issue in my '73 240Z. Details can be reviewed at following link:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/help-me/12474-header-problem.html See posts #18 and #22.

The shop I dealt with put two angles in the exhaust pipe immediately behind the header connection to move the exhaust down just enough to clear the engine mount. Pics can be seen in my gallery. The best pic may be below:

post-6478-14150823478874_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Sean

Thanks for the info Sean. I talked with MSA on Friday in regards to this issue and they seemed to be surprised that i was having a problem.. go figure. I purchased the header 6 years ago and the Exhaust System last week. Maybe the headers available now will be the fix. I would prefer to install a different header out of the options that i have at this point. I already drilled a hole and welded in a bung in the forward section of the exhaust. I have been working on this car now for six years.. whats another week or 2 before i hit the road.

post-5458-14150823479123_thumb.jpg