IGNORED

280zx Heat Problem?

i have a 1981 280zx non turbo. when my car warms up about 30 minutes or so it tends to idle real low and then just die. Some times it will start back up and other times it wont. I have replaced the ignition module, the dizzy, the spark plugs, the ignition coil, fuel pump, fuzes, and much more. Everytime i put something into the car it will act better for a couple days and then start acting up again. Many people say it is vapor lock. Any ideas? has anyone else had this problem? :ermm: I just want my car to be normal again .:mad: thanks.

My first suggestion: Stop throwing parts at the problem! It sounds like it is about time to invest in some diagnostic tools or take the car to a mechanic.

Next, download copies of the factory service manual and fuel injection bible. You can find them here: XenonS130 - S130 Reference.

Read through the diagnostics and trouble shooting guides. See if you see any conditions that are the same or similar to yours. Once you have done some real troubleshooting, come back with any ideas you might have. It will improve the chances that someone will give you a real solution instead of continuing on the shotgun approach.

Some suggested tools for better diagnostics:

Noid light for checking injectors

Inductive trigger timing light (Not only can you use it to set your timing, since the trigger is inductive, it can indicate whether or not you're getting a spark.)

Good quality multimeter (While a Harbor Freight cheap meter can work (I have a couple that I'm willing to burn up for current measurements.), if you need precise measurements, a quality meter, such as a Fluke, is the way to go.)

Inline fuel pressure gauge

Having said all of that, pay attention to the diagnostics for the ECU and AFM.