IGNORED

SU float source Dec 2012

Stanley

Source for new nissan SU floats? Called Bruce, ZT has some used ones, then called the local shop and will drive over there to get one, also used I guess. But nowhere to order a new nissan float? MSA (catalog shows it for $17) is out and doesn't know if they'll have them again. Zcar AZ lists it for $120 (what !). NAPA online shows a kit for the 240Z (yeah right) with a trainload of gaskets but no float. Autozone gave me the cross streets for a possible. Come on Nissan, cough up some damn floats.

My front carb is way lean due to float setting which I might have messed up previously. The float on there is a type that's hard to adjust. Can't get it to sit level without putting muscle on it - don't want to try that until I've got a new one here in case.

BTW thanks ZT for the sightglass.

Sorry Bruce, figured you'd know if anyone did, but just didn't want to believe you were right. No floats. Considering it's technological complexity (slightly more than a popsickle stick) and a going price of $17, I'd think think someone would want to manufacture these things.

Sorry Bruce, figured you'd know if anyone did, but just didn't want to believe you were right. No floats. Considering it's technological complexity (slightly more than a popsickle stick) and a going price of $17, I'd think think someone would want to manufacture these things.

Here's what we have found out searchin g the web.

Nobody who shows floats actually has floats. Zippo nobody.We bought the last NISSAN had several years ago......

We have found the family of injection molding foam that was used.

We have not found anyone yet who can produce new floats in runs of less than 100,000 at a clatter.

We have the metal piece that could be stabbed into the float itself if some one wanted to step up and try making these on a small run basis. Anyone, anyone??

Near as I can tell we could sell maybe two dozen a year out of here..... Or we can sell grade B used out of our stash. Grade A's, of course, going out in carbs.....

Hmm, interesting find, Pete. I wonder if they actually have them in stock. Do the different SUs have different diameter float bowls? Do you need the needle, too? Which needle?

I have to admit that I'm a novice with the SUs. Bruce, I hope to eventually watch the videos I bought from you.

SUCARB looks about the same. Don't know. $24 plus shipping from GB (which they don't mention on the site) is kind of pricy. The ZT video has a section about British SU's that I skipped the first few times that's worth watching.

Noticed that the new float valves (MSA) have a thinner pin that contacts the tang on the float. If it contacts the tang at an angle it wobbles instead of shutting off the gas. It would be nice to source the old style valves too.