IGNORED

Sumitomo mk63 caliper question.

ra240z

I have no idea what year the MK63's were first released by Sumitomo. They are listed in the Nissan Sports Option Catalog in 1973 at 15,000 Yen {$41.67} each, with a set of 4 Pads for 3.000 Yen {$8.34} when the Yen was 360 to 1 USD. They are quite a bit more today!

They were registered by Nissan and approved by the FIA for use on Datsun 240Z's in 1970 {not valid for Group 3} - that is what make them "FIA" approved. Otherwise a MK-63 is a MK-63...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Part numbers 41000-E4621 RH and 41010-E4621 LH. Very rare here in the USA and worth a lot money to the folks in Europe who vintage race under the old FIA rule set. I have a customer with standing orders to buy a set if I find some for sale. I've found two sets so far that are not for sale.

Rare as the calipers are here in the States - the rebuild kits are even more so. They have a pretty unique piston seal set up. Eiji was able to get me a few rebuild kits out of Japan - seems that the vendor that carried them was not too far from Eiji's Parents Home. This was years ago - but AsIRecall - the calipers were around $650.00 for a pair.

When the Z is fitted with the MK-63's - you change there rear wheel cylinders to larger diameter units as well - - the difference in braking is significant. They give much better pedal modulation and feel..

There are two types with different Part Numbers listed in the 73 Sports Option Catalog, one used with solid rotors and the other used with ventilated rotors. 41000-E7201 / 41010-E7201 and 41000-A7600 / 41010-A7600 {Ventilated Type}.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Is it someone who can tell what year this calipers first was released, and also the differens betwin FIA mk63 and just mk63

The Sumitomo MK63 four-pot brake caliper was first used on certain models of 150-series Nissan President limousines, from around 1965/66.

Contrary to what other people might tell you, there are some variations in MK63 caliper models ( apart from vented / non-vented type ) and the details on them changed a great deal in early years of production. Seeing as the MK63 calipers were JAF and FIA homologated for several different Nissan models other than the S30-series Z, the answer to the question about differences between FIA MK63 and "just MK63" is that it depends on the application.

The type normally used with the S30-series Z, in vented disc form, is the MK63-20S model. One of the differences between really early OEM application MK63 models and the 20S is the position and angle of the bleed screws, for example.

Is this an enquiry with relation to FIA-sanctioned race use, or is it with regard to legalisation for road use in your country / region?

Thanks for great info. Reason for asking is that i imported Scarab#154 last year, and it have the mk63 calipers. The car was built by Scarab in 79.

In SportZ vol3. from 2002 it says that Scarab offered FIA 4 pot calipers, but in the Scarab Parts catalog from 1980 it says only 4 pot calipers. The earlyer brochure I have about Scarab says just performance pads. In the Nissan Sport option list from 71? is the Mk63, and in Nissan Motorspots Schematic catalog, I found the FIA, but either mention Sumitomo or both FIA and MK63. I started to belive that I have miss some info.

Thanks for making everything about Sumitomo MK63 very understanding, even for me :-)

For info: The car is now accepted as a original Datsun 240Z Scarab V8 by the Nowegian BT(DMV), and I belive it will be the first road legal Scarab in Europe:-)

Thanks

Edited by ra240z