IGNORED

tranny/speedo question

Dr. Wombat

i have a 73 260z with a 280z 5spd manual and stock 260 cluster.

i idle at 660 according to timing gun.

tach reads 2k at idle and 5500rpm on freeway(timing light reads 26xxrpm).

do i need the speedo cable gear from the 280?

any other thoughts help.

thanks in advance.

cheers

-wombat

A different speedo gear is going to make no difference to what the tach reads at idle.

You should only need a different speedo cable gear if you have changed diff ratios or radically changed tyre size,

What Olzed is saying is that the tack is controlled electronically basically off the distributor. Tachs are notorious for going bad over the course of 40 years. It is possible to have them rebuilt, where they replace the guts.

By the way, I remember the old days, when "blowing a tranny" just meant car trouble.

Ok thanks.

Just figured I'd ask before shelling out for gauges. My dash looks like the grand canyon anyway. The last owner took the liberty of filling the dash crack with white bathroom caulk and makes me want to throw up a little every time I see it. I feel the next project coming...