IGNORED

Turns over won't start need car for work!

branham76

I try and start it and it turns over but will not ignite. I have checked the coil no sign of damage and battery is new along with the fuel pump and fuel filter. The spark plugs are in good condition as well. The only thing I can think of is there are a few clipped wires near the distributor cap that the previous owner cut and I do not know where they go and not sure if it would make a difference. Any suggestions??

How about more information? Is it a 76? Did it run before, or did you just buy a non-running used car with clipped wires that you need for work?

Have you checked for spark and fuel? Those are the two basics to look for if it turns over but doesn't fire.

How long has it been running since you replaced the filter and pump? Did you replace them because of a problem?

Spark plugs don't go bad all together at the same time, so plugs is unlikely. Timing almost never changes dramatically enough to kill the engine either, unless the distributor breaks.

Sudden death is usually electrical, like a bad coil or shorted wire. A simple check for spark by removing a spark plug, sticking it back on the plug wire, grounding the threads, cranking the engine and checking for spark will tell you a lot. Or use an old plug if you have one and do the same.

Are you still running points in the distributor or do you have electronic ignition?

It has been running for about 150 miles since the filter change and about 500 with the pump and they were replaced due to lack of fuel. and thanks i will try checking the spark plugs. I am running points on the distributor. all the spark plugs are in the correct order. The last thing we were messing with before it stopped working was the spark plugs and thats what makes me think it might be those