IGNORED

Bought a 1980 280zx with a few issues

mrhank

Just bought myself a 1980 280zx. Always wanted one and now that I have the funding to fix one up I decided it was time :)

I went in with the mindset that I am going to have to fix whatever I buy up and this car has its fair share of issues. Any input will be much appreciated!

Heres the issues I noticed.

Leaking oil, appears to be from the pan gasket but not too sure on that.

Power steering is whining; not bad though.

Idles rough; 500-600 rpm when cold, owner claimed it was the timing. He did leave it cold before I got there he did not warm it up to hide anything. He seemed to be very straight forward and honest. They also want me to bring the car back when I get her all fixed up :)

Oil blow by, dont know how much but there was residue under the hood towards the front.

Runs rich

Also another issue is sometimes it will stay at approx 2k rpm when idling at a red light or whatever; could that be a spring thats bad or something?

Throwout bearing is going out atleast thats what I think, can hear it without clutch pushed in, but engaged you cant hear it.

Needs new shocks and struts.

Needs new rear hatch struts which are included with the car.

The good though is when I test drove it, all the power seemed to be there, 146k miles and man it was still pretty quick, no grinds from the trans or clutch slippage either.

Edited by mrhank

Also another issue is sometimes it will stay at approx 2k rpm when idling at a red light or whatever; could that be a spring thats bad or something?

Edited by mrhank

Throwout bearing is going out atleast thats what I think, can hear it without clutch pushed in, but engaged you cant hear it.
Noise from the throwout bearing is the other way around. With the pedal up, no noise, depress the pedal and the noise begins.

Since yours is the opposite, I'd suspect input shaft bearing in the transmission.

Sounds identical to the one I bought.

Leaking oil, appears to be from the pan gasket but not too sure on that. Remove the skid plate and tighten all the pan bolts and 95% of your leak will go away.

Power steering is whining; not bad though. Add fluid. If you have to add more, add some with stop leak.

Idles rough; 500-600 rpm when cold, owner claimed it was the timing. Auxiliary air valve probably stuck shut. Remove, clean, test per an earlier post I put up on this website.

Oil blow by, dont know how much but there was residue under the hood towards the front. My hood was a mess too, engine degreaser & elbow grease. No idea where it comes from.

Runs rich -- based on what? Black smoke? Replace 02 sensor. An EFI engine should NEVEr run rich.

Also another issue is sometimes it will stay at approx 2k rpm when idling at a red light or whatever; could that be a spring thats bad or something? Aux air valve again?

Sounds identical to the one I bought.

Leaking oil, appears to be from the pan gasket but not too sure on that. Remove the skid plate and tighten all the pan bolts and 95% of your leak will go away.

Power steering is whining; not bad though. Add fluid. If you have to add more, add some with stop leak.

Idles rough; 500-600 rpm when cold, owner claimed it was the timing. Auxiliary air valve probably stuck shut. Remove, clean, test per an earlier post I put up on this website.

Oil blow by, dont know how much but there was residue under the hood towards the front. My hood was a mess too, engine degreaser & elbow grease. No idea where it comes from.

Runs rich -- based on what? Black smoke? Replace 02 sensor. An EFI engine should NEVEr run rich.

Also another issue is sometimes it will stay at approx 2k rpm when idling at a red light or whatever; could that be a spring thats bad or something? Aux air valve again?

Wow yea sounds just like mine. o2 sensor will be replaced, ive got a whole list now between what you have just said and what I have been researching today. By aux air valve you mean idle air control valve right?

Edited by mrhank

I figured out where the oil leak is coming from. Its under the blower motor to the right of the oil filter. I dont know what this part is called, but its right on top of the suspension brace. It has a boot on the end. What is this part called and why could it be leaking?

Make sure you don't have an exhaust leak too. That will let air into the exhaust system, FOOL even a brand new 02 sensor into making the car run rich.

Areyou talking about the oil pressure sender? Yeah, those can leak. Not cheap, either.