IGNORED

to use or not to use lead replacement fluid

jeanp

I've been driving 240Z's now for over 42 years. I've torn down, with others, perhaps as many as 30 L24's for rebuild. Many of the engines that needed rebuilding had over 150K miles on them. So far I have not really seen undue wear on the valve seats. We have been running "lead free" fuels in these engines since... when...lead was completely phased out in the US...1980?...

I'm sure the phase out of Lead in gasoline has had "some" effect on the life of the valve seats in the L24's ... but I'm not convinced that the L24's suffer significant damage from lead's absence.

So no - I've never used an additive to replace the lead. Different story with the high compression "Muscle Car" engines of the 60's and early 70's. I had to use Octane Booster in them. The engines I had ran 11:1 to 13:1 compression ratio's... If not octane booster, then I ran 50/50 Aviation Fuel{leaded} and high test lead free auto fuel.

Just my experience..

FWIW,

Carl

I've been driving 240Z's now for over 42 years. I've torn down, with others, perhaps as many as 30 L24's for rebuild. Many of the engines that needed rebuilding had over 150K miles on them. So far I have not really seen undue wear on the valve seats. We have been running "lead free" fuels in these engines since... when...lead was completely phased out in the US...1980?...

I'm sure the phase out of Lead in gasoline has had "some" effect on the life of the valve seats in the L24's ... but I'm not convinced that the L24's suffer significant damage from lead's absence.

So no - I've never used an additive to replace the lead. Different story with the high compression "Muscle Car" engines of the 60's and early 70's. I had to use Octane Booster in them. The engines I had ran 11:1 to 13:1 compression ratio's... If not octane booster, then I ran 50/50 Aviation Fuel{leaded} and high test lead free auto fuel.

Just my experience..

FWIW,

Carl

Thank-you for you shared experience, I had a 1970 240z in the 80's and never used lead replacement.

I had a log conversation with a mecanic that worked on a lot of datsun in his life and he told me i should use some

I had my 71 Z for 1 1/2 year now and never used it i think that when they stop seling leaded fuel they did had a bit of something in the

unleaded fuel but it me be a false impression. I did put some in with my last tank i dont know if i will continue.

Regard's

Jean-P